Friday, February 13, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Michaela Miles


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Michaela.  Welcome to The Gal.  It's been great having you, and several of your fellow authors from Love Least Expected, on here.  Thank you so much for helping me set that up.  
            Let's start out with something easy.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Michaela Miles:
The first thing I can tell you is that I don't like talking about myself!  An author who's introverted - big surprise there!  I can also tell you that I write for a living.  Not fiction unfortunately, but I'm a copywriter and web designer by day and by night I indulge the characters in my head.
            In my spare time, I'm primary carer and chief wrangler for a husband and three children and am in the middle of completing a Bachelor in English Literature.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Michaela Miles:
  • The big one is that I'm an author.  In 'real life,' only my husband knows I write.
  • I've lived in sunny Queensland my whole life and I hate the heat.  Give me a nice, cold, rainy day or week and I'm happy.
  • I love science fiction.  If I had to write a single genre for the rest of my life, it would be that.
  • I talk to myself, inanimate objects, the TV, my pot plants - anything that will listen, as my lovely children aren't very good at that!
  • I'm not at all artistic.  I can't draw or paint - I can barely colour inside the lines :-)
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Michaela Miles:
The first book I have clear memories of reading is The Tale of Peter Rabbit.  I used to read it to my grandmother when I was really small - before I started primary school.  She still has the book in her bedside drawer and when we visited her in more recent times, my children used to read it to me too.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Michaela Miles:
I always have several books on the go so I can pick something up that suits my mood.  I'm lucky enough to be beta reading a new crime novel by Kerry J. Donovan plus reading a big, beautiful hardcover of Jack of Diamonds by Bryce Courtenay as well as my first Star Trek: Titan book (Taking Wing), and I'm reading the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling again to my younger children.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Michaela Miles:
I've always written stories, dreams, diaries, etc since before primary school.  When I started moving towards my thirtieth birthday, I decided I'd spent enough time doing things for everyone else, and wanted to do something for me, so I took serious steps towards becoming a published author.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Michaela Miles:
Right now, I'm in the middle of a large, slow home renovation, and so I don't really have a space to call my own.  I'm working towards having a neat, tidy office where I can tune out the world and write, but currently I have my trusty laptop and my writing space is in the lounge.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Michaela Miles:
I'm not really sure.  Everyone's writing process is different, but I don't think I do anything particularly quirky!  I do like to take my characters to bed with me, however.  I find if I go to sleep thinking about the scene I'm writing, the next scene I need to write appears in my dreams and I'm ready to write the next day.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Michaela Miles:
For me, it can be anything: a news story, a conversation, a random train of thought that started out miles away, but mainly it's dreams.  I usually start by one day waking up with a fully formed character in my head.  They've decided the genre and the goal they need to achieve, and sit there waiting for me to start writing.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Michaela Miles:
As a prolific reader in my school years, this is a hard list to narrow down.  The first would be Bryce Courtenay.  His books surround you and immerse you in another time and place right from the first page.  The second would be Anne McCaffrey.  I've read countless science fiction/fantasy books, but for some reason Killashandra's stories stayed with me.  And the third is a bit of a nod to the geeky Browncoat side of me - Richard Castle.  Not only do I love reading the books, but I love the meta-ness of it all.  A TV show about a bestselling author which spawns the exact same series of books that he's written in the show to be sold in the real world.  What's not to love about that?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Michaela Miles:
Editing.  I spend a lot of time shaping and self-editing the story as I go along, and when I write "the end," I feel done with the story and the desperate need to move on.  Unfortunately that's not how it works!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Michaela Miles:
I think if it entertains you while reading it, it's a good story.  A great story leaves a lasting impression, one of those books you can't put down and read into the wee hours of the morning.  A truly excellent story is an experience, it changes you, and you remember it years later like it was only yesterday.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Michaela Miles:
I'd like to think that they all have a part of me in them.  I use my own experiences and emotions to bring realism to my writing, but in terms of character actually being like me, I don't think I've written one yet.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Michaela Miles:
The character picks the genre for me.  I've written crime, science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, erotica, and romance thanks to the characters who've popped up and demanded I write their stories.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Michaela Miles:
I think an author's voice makes every story different, but I hope that my mix of sass and humour temper the strong themes I bring into my work, and that people will enjoy my stories, as well as take something away with them - a different idea, experience, or point of view perhaps.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's in your "trunk"?

Michaela Miles:
Oh so much stuff!  I have many finished manuscripts that need editing and quite a few half-finished ones, as well as plot or character ideas and lists of possible titles for future works, all just waiting for me to have time to finish (or start!) them.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Michaela Miles:
I have two contemporary eroticas due for release this year, with several more planned in the same series.  And after that, it could be anything: a fantasy, romance, a paranormal erotica, a crime thriller currently being written with another author ... it all depends on how much writing I can fit around my real life commitments.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Michaela.  This has been so much fun!!
            One more thing before you go:  Where can we find you?

Michaela Miles:
Website ** Amazon ** Facebook ** Twitter
tsu ** Google+ ** Goodreads ** Pinterest


About the book:
When love drops in unexpected, the strangest things can happen.  Nine short stories from sweet to sultry, full of romance, magic and love from award winning and USA Today recommended authors.

Keep Calm & Eat Chocolate by Michaela Miles
(contemporary romance)

3 comments:

aubreywynneauthor.com said...

What a great interview! Thanks so much for putting in all this time for us! Have fun fishing and enjoy the rest.

Michaela Miles said...

Thank you so much for having me and the rest of the anthology girls! We really appreciate it! :-) xx

Meghan H said...

Y'all are VERY welcome. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help any of y'all in the future. :)