Sunday, February 8, 2015

REVIEW: Mimi's Adventures in Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mimi's Adventures in Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies
Alyssa Gangeri

Genre: Children's, Culinary
Publisher: Mascot Books
Publication date: 3.3.2015
Pages: 38

Recommended by: Worldwind Virtual Book Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 2.1.2015

Embark on a baking adventure with Mimi where she will measure, mix, and bake her way to the perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies.  If Mimi can do it, so can you!



Anyone who follows my reviews knows that I love children's books and have a group of children that I share these stories with (our "reading time" on my front porch), plus I love anything having to do with cooking, so when I was asked to take part in the blog tour for this book, I could not pass it up.

I think I am especially hard on children's books.  I don't want children growing up thinking that bad writing is okay, that you have to settle on books that are not exciting or fun, or get misinformation from books (I have seen quite a few use words in the wrong contest, and these books are where children begin to learn their words).

This one was a really good book and I'm glad I said yes to it.  The cover is beautiful - as is the artwork throughout the rest of the book.  I like how it takes the young readers step-by-step through the baking process, explaining why certain things are done, giving them tips for when they are baking (with adult supervision, of course), teaches them about cooking in general (i.e. how to measure flour, how to crack an egg), and even includes kitchen safety before they get started.

The characters of Mimi and her Nonni are so much fun, and remind me of when I would spend time cooking with my mother when I was little.  

Mimi even includes her recipe for these chocolate chip cookies in the back of the book, which includes different variations.  I can't wait to give them a try. :)

No comments: