Wednesday, February 18, 2015

REVIEW: Polarity in Motion


Polarity in Motion
Brenda Vicars

Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing
Publication date: 12.2.2014
Pages: 261

Recommended by: Red Adept Publishing, Read 2 Review
Date read: 2.17.2015



It's very rare for me to finish a book and not have words to express how I feel about the story.  Usually, I gush all over it or scream from the rooftops about what made me hate it, but this ... I think I'm still recovering.

I picked this book up two nights ago, planning to read a few chapters before I went to sleep.  Next thing I knew, I was finishing the story and it was somewhere around 2:30 in the morning.  

The characters were interesting and, with each "turn of the page," I wanted to know more about Polarity and her family.  Being there as she went through this horrible experience was heartbreaking and there were times that I wished I was in the story so I could just hug her and make things better.  The relationship she had with her parents was something special, but because of her mother's condition, there were some very emotional moments (written well) that affected me as a reader, and as a human being.  Polarity and her grandmother were definitely my favorites, but there were a lot of other characters that I enjoyed reading about, including Ethan, her grandmother's boyfriend, and Tilly.  

This story is stuck in the genre of romance, but to me it was far more than that.  Yes, there was this attraction she had for Ethan, but what I thought was far more important was the fact that he was so willing to help her, and believed her from the very beginning.  I loved the mystery, the investigation (and what she learned from her grandma's boyfriend) - the fact that her and her family were so willing to fight for the injustice that was being done - and that she wouldn't give up or just give in.  (She was a lot stronger than she ever could have imagined.)  There were twists that I didn't expect, things I thought would happen that didn't, and the ending left me quite surprised.

I recommend that this book be read by children in high school - or even ones getting ready to begin there.  To me it is a story about bullying and shows you what can happen when you keep your mouth shut instead of speaking out against what is wrong.





About the book:
Fifteen-year-old Polarity Weeks just wants to live a normal life, but with a mother diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, that's rarely easy.  Her life gets exponentially more disastrous when her sixth-period history classmates start ogling a nude picture of her on the internet.  Polarity would never have struck such a shameless pose, but the photo is definitely of her, and she's at a complete loss to explain its existence.
            Child Protective Services yanks her from her home, suspecting her parents.  The kids at school mock her, assuming she took it herself.  And Ethan, the boy she was really starting to like, backpedals and joins the taunting chorus.  Surrounded by disbelief and derision on all sides, Polarity desperately seeks the truth among her friends.  Only then does she learn that everyone has dark secrets, and no one's life is anywhere near normal.



About the author:
Brenda Vicars has worked in Texas public education for many years.  Her jobs have included teaching, serving as a principal, and directing student support programs.  For three years, she also taught college English to prison inmates.
            She entered education because she felt called to teach, but her students taught her the biggest lesson: the playing field is not even for all kids.  Through her work, she became increasingly compelled to bring their unheard voices to the page.  The heartbeat of her fiction emanates from the courage and resiliency of her students.
            Brenda's hobbies include reading, making things out of re-purposed wood, pulling weeds in the garden, and Zumba.

2 comments: