Saturday, February 28, 2015

WeLCoMe!!

Welcome to The Gal in the Blue Mask.  I'm Meghan.


This is me.  (You're going to have to use your imagination on that one.  You see me waving?  Or jazz hands - that could be jazz hands.  Either way works.)

The Gal's been around for a little while now (since August 2013) and, checking my stats the other day, I noticed that I have a lot of new followers, and quite a bit of daily views, so I thought I'd take a moment to say hello, welcome you all here, and show y'all around.

If you look at the top, you'll see a bunch of tabs.  Those help you find all the important things on my blog.
            The About Me tab is all about me (as if that wasn't obvious, huh?).  I warn you now that I am absolutely horrible at talking about myself.  A couple of weeks ago, though, I was looking at a chef's blog and, when I looked at her About Me section (something I love looking at on other people's blogs, but never once thought about putting on my own), I was really impressed.  She admitted that she has the same problem as me, and decided to set it up as if she was being interviewed.  Being interviewed is easy, at least in my opinion.  Coming up with things to say about myself is hard, but answering someone else's questions...  Check it out.  Ya never know - we may have a lot in common. :)
            Next you have my Review Policy & Ratings.  This is an important place for authors (and people working for them).  It lets them know what I expect and want from people who are requesting reviews here on The Gal - and what they can expect from me.  At the bottom of this is the way that I rate books.  Now, you'll notice that there are maybe two or three books on here that actually have a rating - I tried, and honestly, I am just horrible at the whole thing.  In fact, a buddy of mine told me that I'm too nice and, because of that, he always takes away one star from whatever I rate.  But, if you read my reviews on Goodreads, BookLikes and Amazon, this will help you understand where I'm coming from.
            The Blog Tours tab gives you a list of the blog tours that I've participated in and keeps the information from each together.  (I'm actually shocked at how long the list is.  It sure doesn't feel like that many.)  You'll find quick reference to the author interviews I've done on these blog tours here.
            Among the Stacks and Between the Bindings are two of my favorite tabs.  The first is author interviews that were not connected to blog tours, the second is author guest posts giving advice to authors that are just starting out - there is some great information in them.
            You, Me ... & a Cup of Tea is a fairly new thing here at The Gal.  Several months ago I decided to start interviewing fellow bloggers - there are so many good ones that I really enjoy reading, and I want others to hear about them and the people behind them.  I did two.  And it really bothers me that two is all I did.  It was the only thing I've done on here that I didn't plan and put a lot of thought into, and my questions were just not good, at least in my opinion.  I have rectified that and will be starting my interviews back up again starting next month (which begins tomorrow haha).  I already have a nice little line up and I'm excited to begin this again.
            Besides just being a book blogger, I'm also a freelance book editor.  Hyde 'N' Seek Editing is the name of my editing company and this tab gives my contact information and the link to Hyde 'N' Seek's blog.
            The last one on that row is Hobbies.  Everyone needs them, thought not everyone has them.  Studies have shown that these kinds of things are good for your health, both physically and emotionally.  It's a small tab now, but I plan to make it grow ... and it won't just be book reviews.  You'll see. :)

As we move to the second row of tabs, you'll see several: My Book Reviews, A Place for Kids, In the Kitchen, Life & Self, Writing & Blogging, and Television & Movies.  I started out with just one massive list of reviews and, even though I list them alphabetically by title, it can become rather tedious to get through.  After putting a lot of thought into it, I decided to change things up a bit.
            First, after each title (which is the link to the actual post), I have put in smaller writing the genres that the particular book falls under.  All the books in there are Fiction.
            Second, the other tabs were formed.  You can pretty much guess from the names what they include: A Place for Kids are all books that I think will be good for children and middle school/high school kids, split in to two separate lists, and there will be some reviews on toys included soon; In the Kitchen is all kinds of cookbooks (one of my favorite things to read); Life & Self includes things like diet and fitness, personal growth, relationships, religion, etc; Writing & Blogging, as I'm sure you guessed, are books that can help you with one, the other, or both; and, finally, Television & Movies is where I'm going to be talking about those things I watch on TV or at theaters.

On to the right hand side: Here you will find Where You Can Find Me, which gives you the link to my other blogs and the social networks I am on.  
            You'll also see several ways to follow The Gal.  BlogLovin' is one of my favorites - for those of y'all who don't know what that is, it's an awesome way to follow blogs, especially if you read a lot of different ones, because you can do it all in one place.  My mother follows me by email and is always telling me how some of my posts just don't translate well there - I'm looking into some ways to fix that.  If you're a Google+ user, follow me there - all of my posts go up and will appear in your stream.
            My blog archive is also here, which is another way for you to peruse my blog if you're looking for something in particular.

One more place to look - down at the bottom.  You'll see a street team badge, and a few badges for the places I do blog tours for.  The most important thing here, though, is other blogs you should look at.  These are the ones that I look at before anything else and they're really good at what they do. :)

That ends my what-I-planned-to-be short little tour - with me, it doesn't always end up that way.  If you have any questions, concerns, ideas ... or if you just want to say hi ... feel free to email me HERE.  

Thanks, again, for visiting The Gal in the Blue Mask.  :)

No comments: