Wednesday, March 25, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Brett Garcia Rose


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Brett.  Welcome to The Gal.  It's great to have you here.  Tell us a bit about yourself.

Brett Garcia Rose:
I'm a software designer by trade, as well as a former journalist.  I've been writing and publishing short stories in magazines around the world for several years.  I currently live in Florida, but I move quite often.  Noise is my first novel.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I used to have a very bad stutter.  I worked in the animal rights movement for over 10 years.  I have never renewed a lease in my life.  I was the youngest person to ever publish a column in the Sunday Newsday Magazine (3 times).  I fall in love ridiculously fast.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Brett Garcia Rose:
The Little Prince

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Brett Garcia Rose:
The 2014 Lascaux Prize Anthology (I have two stories there)

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I began writing in college, out of loneliness.  My stutter made it very difficult to make friends, so after my first year I decided to leave.  The morning I was leaving, I left a letter to the editor of my college newspaper, sort of saying goodbye to the people I'd never known.  I'd go on to 5 more colleges after that, writing for school and local newspapers, literary magazines, and other publications.  Each time people began to know who I was, I'd change schools and start over.  Story of my life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I can write anywhere as long as it's quiet.  I'd prefer outside by the water, but it's really not important to me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Brett Garcia Rose:
No quirks, processes, or tricks.  I'm a very simple person, and I write the way I live.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I wish I had a better answer for this, as all writers likely do, but the truth is that I have no idea.  A sentence just pops into my head, and from there it's like unraveling a ball of string.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Brett Garcia Rose:
The Road.  Fight Club.  Bright Lights, Big City.  Leaving Las Vegas.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I thoroughly dislike the physical process of writing.  Computers, typing, formatting, grammar, I find it all very unpleasant.  I am always writing in my mind, it's a constant stream of mainly unusable gibberish, but it's challenging to actually sit down and use the tools I have to nail it onto paper.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I think the combination of pacing and emotion makes for the strongest stories, because it is most similar to life.  Hurtling through a dangerous world while your heart is breaking, dreams are failing, every day a reset requiring you to start all over again.  A good story is like crying on a windy day, a balance of opposing forces.  I also think brevity of prose is extremely important.  This is where many writers fail, but my most worn-out key is the DELETE button.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Brett Garcia Rose:
A combination of Leon, from Noise, and the painter in Losing Found Things.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I didn't chose to write thrillers or mysteries - I always saw myself as a literary writer, since my short stories are very much in that genre.  But this is how my books are turning out.  I'd like to call them literary thrillers, but such a distinction doesn't really exist.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your book different from others out there in this genre?

Brett Garcia Rose:
I think the most important part of Noise is that the main character is deaf, and it's set in one of the noisiest places in the world.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?

Brett Garcia Rose:
There is nothing in my trunk.  I have no secret desires or cravings for the future.  Whatever I want to do in life, I've either already done it, or am doing it right now.  I never think about things I don't have.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Brett Garcia Rose:
More books, of course!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Brett.  It's been great having you - and learning more about the guy behind the book.  
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Brett Garcia Rose:

About the book:
Noise, by Brett Garcia Rose, is a thriller/mystery centering on a deaf character's search for his missing sister.  It's short, violent, but ultimately it's about love.  Noise was published in June 2014 and is available for sale on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

The world is an ugly place, and I can tell you now, I fit in just fine.
            Lily is the only person Leon ever loved.  When she left a suicide note and disappeared into a murky lake ten years ago, she left him alone, drifting through a silent landscape.
            Or did she?
            A postcard in her handwriting pulls Leon to the winter-cold concrete heart of New York City.  What he discovers unleashes a deadly rage that has no sound.
            A grisly trail of clues leads to The Bear, the sadistic Russian crime lord who traffics in human flesh.  The police - some corrupt, some merely compromised - are of little help.  They don't like Leon's methods, or the mess he leaves in his wake.
            Leon is deaf, but no sane person would ever call him disabled.  He survived as a child on the merciless streets of Nigeria.  He misses nothing.  He feels no remorse.  The only direction he's ever known is forward.
            He will not stop until he knows.
            Where is Lily?

No comments: