Wednesday, March 25, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Elle Boca


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Elle.  Thank you so much for being on The Gal today.  The fifth book in your series is out today and I am sure you are super excited - good luck :)  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Elle Boca:
I'm the author of the Miami Weeia urban fantasy series about superhuman.  Growing up the only child of a monkey mother and a rabbit father, I learned to keep myself entertained and spend time reading.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Elle Boca:
I'm a fan of cookies, cakes and chocolates.
I love nature.
I enjoy photography.
Sunrises are my favorite time of day.
Rainy days inspire me.
Can you tell I love nature?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Elle Boca:
Any Geek tragedies I got my hands on.  Don't remember before that.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Elle Boca:
I just finished Runaway Smile.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Elle Boca:
I've written for many years.  Two or three years ago, Amy, the main character in my series asked me to tell her story.  I stopped the book draft I was writing and began the Weeia Series.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Elle Boca:
I know it's kind of boring, but it's my desk.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Elle Boca:
Nothing extraordinary I don't think.  Does counting sheep count?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Elle Boca:
They're a blend of my imagination and real world events and news.  For example, I mentioned manatees, an endangered marine mammal, in one of the books, and featured a human slavery story in book two of my series after I noticed Florida is one of the top states in human trafficking nationwide.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Elle Boca:
The ones I've read most recently added to all the other ones before them.  Each book leaves a trace.  A while back I read lots of Robert Ludlum.  I also liked to visit Africa via Wilbur Smith's stories.  When I discovered urban fantasy I became fascinated.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Elle Boca:
Editing, editing, editing, proofing, proofing, and proofing, oh and editing some more.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Elle Boca:
Interesting characters, their interactions, and the drama that results all within a good story (and an interesting setting for urban fantasy).  Then you mix well or stir and voila.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Elle Boca:
That's a tough question ... None of them and all of them, I don't know.  I'm too close to them.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Elle Boca:
Because I enjoy reading urban fantasy books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Elle Boca:
This series is about superhuman superheroes, individuals who while human-like in most ways stand out in one or more extraordinary abilities.  The main characters of the series go out of their way to save, help, rescue others, human and superhuman alike, even at the risk of their own well being.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?

Elle Boca:
A mystery I started before the series and haven't found the time to finish.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Elle Boca:
I'm working on another Weeia series about superhumans.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
It's been great having you here, Elle.  One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Elle Boca:

No comments: