Sunday, March 15, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Meredith Bond


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Last month, I was honored to have several of the authors who showcased their talents in Love Least Expected allow me to interview them here on The Gal.  Today, with the release of her latest book being today, I have another.  Ms. Meredith Bond.
            Welcome to The Gal, Meredith.  I'm happy to have you.  Let's start out with something easy - Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Meredith Bond:
I'm a woman of many hats.  I write, I format books for indie-authors, and I teach writing in the Continuing Ed department of my local community college.  I've been married to a fascinating man for nearly 22 years and we've got two college-aged children.  It's a happy life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Meredith Bond:
  1. I love to read books other than romance - mysteries are a favorite, along with the occasional YA and a biography every now and then.
  2. I love to knit and watch either football or baseball, depending on the season.
  3. My husband is Indian and we spend time in Kolkata just about every year.
  4. I speak Bengali fluently (see above).
  5. I actually enjoy cooking - but don't tell anyone, then I'll have to actually cook for other people and they might not like my odd experiments.
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Meredith Bond:
Madeline.  I loved those girls in their two straight lines.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Meredith Bond:
The most recent Mary Jo Putney Lost Lords book, and I just finished the seventh book in Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series (So funny!  So good!!).

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Meredith Bond:
Right after I was married, I moved to rural Massachusetts where my husband was working.  I had just graduated with a Master's Degree in Secondary Education and thought I'd be a high school Social Studies teacher.  Needless to say, there were no jobs available.  I had nothing to do and knew no one in the town, so I started writing books like the Georgette Heyer's I loved to read.  Haven't stopped.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Meredith Bond:
I usually write at my desk, sitting on an exercise ball, in my office.  But every now and then I like to change it up and stand at the bookcase in my den (just the right height for a standing desk) or go to a local coffee shop.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Meredith Bond:
I'm a plotter.  I figure out my characters in detail, filling in character worksheets.  I then move on to my plot and fill in tons of worksheets on that (you can find most of them at my website, look at the "For Authors" section).

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Meredith Bond:
Everything around me.  I travel.  I go to lectures.  I talk with people.  I read a lot.  Everything is fair game when it comes to snatching ideas.  I also have to admit, my mind just works in strange ways.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Meredith Bond:
The books of Georgette Heyer, which I already mentioned, and every book which I've read since.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Meredith Bond:
Characters.  I work really, really hard on my characters.  My heroes always begin too mushy and not heroic.  My heroines can sometimes be pretty wimpy too.  But I work on them and get them to be the people I know they can be - strong, bold, brave, heroic.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Meredith Bond:
Great characters, a fun plot with lots of twists and turns, and a surprise or two along the way.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Meredith Bond:
I don't think I have any characters like me, oddly enough.  I'm rather boring, ordinary.  I do usually write around the theme of people either being or feeling out of place because I've felt that way more often than not in my life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Meredith Bond:
My mother introduced me to historical romance when I was a teenager and I've loved it ever since.  I love history; learning how people lived years ago.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Meredith Bond:
In many of my books, I mix historical romance and fantasy - giving a magical element to a regular Regency or Medieval story.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?

Meredith Bond:
I've got a series of Lilith that I'm going to get to one day.  It started with a short story I wrote for the anthology Tales from the Mist about Adam's first wife.  Someday (hopefully next year), I'm finally go ing to give Lilith her own series.  It'll be contemporary fantasy romance, I'm thinking, but it still needs a good deal of working out.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Meredith Bond:
I'm just beginning to work on the fourth and last book in the Merry Men Quartet (my traditional Regency series - three of which are already published), A Rake's Reward.  I'm hoping to release it this coming May.  After that, I've got a novella planned which will combine my magic Regencies with my traditional Regencies, and I'm also planning on working on a book I wrote for Book-in-a-Month, making it a real, full, fun Regency romance (o magic, but with a interesting Gothic twist).  So, I've got at least three more books to write or edit this coming year!  I'm always busy!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks so much for stopping by, Meredith.  It was a lot of fun to learn some things about the author behind the books. :)
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Meredith Bond:

No comments: