Thursday, March 19, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Sage Adderley


For those of y'all who don't know Sage, you are really missing out.  She is, in all honesty, one of my most favorite people on this planet.  She's just ... awesome ... but then I'm sure she hears that all the time. :)  

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Sage.  Welcome to The Gal.  I'm so glad you let me interview you on here.  Let's start out with something easy: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Sage Adderley:
I am a 36-year-old lady with three kids and two cats who does a lot of stuff in the self-publishing world.  I run a blog tour company called Sage's Blog Tours.  We do everything from book promotion to prepress jobs (book layout, format conversions, etc) to design services.  I've also been running a zine distro called Sweet Candy Distro & Press since 2004.  In the past two years, I have published five books under my small press.  In 2013, I published my first novel, Invoking Nonna.  I'm currently planning Olympia, Washington's first zine fest which is time consuming, but awesome.  I enjoy hanging out with my kids, making mixed media art, drinking lots of coffee, binging on Netflix with my boyfriend, and reading.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Sage Adderley:
I worked in a tattoo studio for 13 years, I was featured in a TBS tattoo documentary when I was 19, I make a yummy homemade hummus, I can pretty much revive most plants from the dead, and I'm an only child.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Sage Adderley:
I don't really remember reading as a kid even though my mom was an avid reader and I am sure I had books available to me as a child.  My fondest early memories of reading was when we had to choose a book from the summer reading list and then write a book report.  I remember reading Bless Me Ultima.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Sage Adderley:
The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Sage Adderley:
When I was a little girl I would pretend to be a school teacher, so I would write fake lesson plans.  From there, that evolved into doing book reports when I didn't have to and then grew into bad teen poetry.  I think I always knew I had to write.  It's in my bones.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Sage Adderley:
I like sitting at a table, usually my kitchen table.  It becomes my everything space when the kids are at school and stays that way until dinner time.  It's my spot.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Sage Adderley:
Not really.  I just sit own and let it flow out.  I try to write as much as I can at a time because if I leave something sit for too long it gets cold ... real cold.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Sage Adderley:
From my past experiences, people I wish I knew or hoped to be, and those moments where real life and imagination merge.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Sage Adderley:
You definitely need a solid issue to hook the reader and characters that make you feel regardless of the emotion they conjure up.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Sage Adderley:
I'm definitely like Maggie.  She is the main teen character in Invoking Nonna.  We're both dreamers and stubborn.  We keep going despite the crap that is thrown our way.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Sage Adderley:
I chose YA because it's a genre I frequently read and I feel comfortable writing from that age perspective.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Sage Adderley:
I write about a family of witches, but there are no toads that turn into monsters or princes, no dragons or trolls.  These characters depict real life pagans.  You don't see too much of that.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?

Sage Adderley:
I have a few young readers stories in mind - picture books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Sage Adderley:
Book two of the Triple Goddess Series.  I am halfway through writing the first draft!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
It's been awesome having you, Sage!!  Thanks for stopping by!!  One more thing before you go - where, oh where, can we find you?!

Sage Adderley:


2 comments:

Sage Adderley said...

Thanks so much for the interview! I had a lot of fun :)

Meghan H said...

You are VERY welcome and me too!! :)