Wednesday, March 25, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Joe Canzano


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hello, Joe.  Thank you for stopping by The Gal today.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Joe Canzano:
I'm a writer and musician from New Jersey, USA.  I write comedy but I like most kinds of fiction.  I like guitar oriented rock and roll - most other music doesn't do it for me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Joe Canzano:
I'm also an astronaut, a scuba diver, a martial arts guru, a chef, and a bullshitter.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Joe Canzano:
The Cat in the Hat.  The story arc was cool and the denouement was astounding.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Joe Canzano:
The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Joe Canzano:
I've always liked to make up stories and characters.  I'm not sure when I started writing it all down.  It seems like a hundred years ago, but I know it wasn't nearly that far back.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Joe Canzano:
No.  I tend to do it when I'm not expecting to do it, or when I'm supposed to be doing other things.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Joe Canzano:
Sometimes I stop and surf the internet and get nothing done.  That's a quirk I need to keep under control.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Joe Canzano:
There are too many books to list here.  I do believe every writer is the product of everything they've ever read - even the stuff they didn't like.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Joe Canzano:
The plot - trying to come up with things that aren't cliche.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Joe Canzano:
Pretty much what you'd expect ... Great characters and the interactions between them.  Big themes that people can relate to.  A plot that keeps the reader wondering what will happen next.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Joe Canzano:
In Magno Girl, I'd say the two main characters, Mags and Ron, both have traits that I have as well as many traits I don't have.  I can't fly, you know.  That's a bummer.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Joe Canzano:
It's not really a genre, and I picked it because I didn't give a crap about fitting into one.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in the genre?

Joe Canzano:
It's not a genre, so by nature it's different than any genre novel.  It's a prose novel with a noir voice and the feel of a comic book.  It's ridiculous, outrageous, and funny.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Joe Canzano:
More books filled with over-the-top humor.  It's what I do.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Joe.  It's been great having you. :)  
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Joe Canzano:
Thanks a lot for having me here today.  By the way, the eBook version of Magno Girl is just 99 cents during this blog tour.  So get a copy today at your favorite online retailer!

Website ** Facebook ** Twitter ** Amazon ** Goodreads


About the book:
When a Manhattan pizza maker is found dead in his own dough, Magno Girl enlists the aid of her biker ninja boyfriend to help solve the crime - and quickly discovers there's more to the pie than meets the eye, including a sinister plot that spans the globe.
            Magno Girl leaps into action.  After all, she can fly, she can fight, and she can use her fearsome superpower, the "Gaze of the Guilt," to bring a hardened criminal to his knees.  But the road ahead is hard.  The city's other superheroes despise her, and the cops don't want her around, and her own mom won't stop spitting out advice about marrying a "respectable guy" and trading in her crime-fighting career for a baby carriage - but is she attracted to "respectable guys"?  And is she interested in emotional commitment?  And will finding real love be her biggest challenge of all?
            Welcome to the world of Magno Girl, a wild and absurd place with humor, action, and romance.

2 comments:

Joe in NJ said...

Thanks for having me on here, Meghan! Great blog!
Joe

PS people can buy Magno Girl for just 99 cents right here: http://www.amazon.com/Magno-Girl-Joe-Canzano-ebook/dp/B00S47Y7DM

They can enter to win a free signed copy of the book here:
http://sageadderley.blogspot.com/2015/03/book-review-giveaway-magno-girl-by-joe.html

Meghan H said...

You're welcome!! And thanks for sharing the links. :)