Wednesday, March 25, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Ken Poirot


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Ken.  Welcome to The Gal.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Ken Poirot:
I am a bit of an enigma as I have so many different interests and I have had many different, seemingly disparate careers.  I have been a scientist, financial professional, and author.  In those capacities, I have also spent time public speaking as it is a necessity with those career choices to learn how to speak in front of a crowd.
            As a scientist I conducted Cancer Research in graduate school and I published a scientific paper.  I also earned a US Patent for my research.
            As a financial professional I spent almost twenty years in the financial services industry with most of that time as a successful manager.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things about you that most people do not know.

Ken Poirot:
  1. I am very approachable.  I think most people are surprised when they first meet me that I am just like everyone else.  I have a natural curiosity; I enjoy the company of new people and having fun in life.
  2. I once had an interview with the CIA and I blew the interview before I even entered the interview room.  The interview took place at a hotel here in the Houston area, many, many years go.  It was a group interview and the first question was, "Did anyone go to the front desk and ask for the CIA?"  Well, how was I to know their interview venue was as clandestine as the organization itself?  Yes, I went to the front desk at the hotel and I asked what room the CIA was conducting interviews.  Apparently that was a no-no :)
  3. I pray every night before I go to sleep.
  4. I am very adventurous.  I went swimming with sharks in the Bahamas, spent my honeymoon in the jungle of Belize, and once fled a city in the Ukraine in the middle of the night (as I posted on my Facebook page for my friends, "...you have not lived until you have fled a city in a foreign country where you don't speak the language in the middle of the night.")
  5. I am addicted to chocolate :)
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Ken Poirot:
I don't remember the name of it; I was very, very young.  Apparently, as a toddler, I had a favorite book that I memorized to the point I convinced my family I could read.
            I knew every word along with all the proper page turns; I had everyone in the family believing I could read until one day I held the book upside down (so my mother tells me).  :)  It was a children's book with animals; I can't remember the name of it.  It was my favorite book and it was also the first book I ever read when I could actually read.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide to begin writing?

Ken Poirot:
I wanted to create something to help as many people as possible.  I found writing a book to be the best medium for this in order to potentially reach the most people.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Ken Poirot:
The quirkiest thing is how I write.  I go through intense periods of writing.  For example, when I wrote "Mentor Me," I wrote for forty hours in three days.  Then I rested for a couple days and wrote for thirty six more hours in a couple more days.  I write when I feel like writing and I put writing away when I am not in the mood.  When I feel like writing I do it with intensity.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Ken Poirot:
Yes, I write in bed; sometimes sitting up with my legs crossed at my computer and also laying down on my stomach, usually all cozy under a blanket.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Ken Poirot:
When I write, I just let it flow, so I write a lot of material and then go back to adjust it and clean it up.  It is the going back to adjust it and clean it up part that I find most challenging.  This part takes a lot of time and it is very detailed work, picking the right words, changing words, changing punctuation, and cleaning out the redundancy.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Ken Poirot:
Any story you can walk away from and then find yourself thinking about it long afterwards, often with a very personal or profound, lingering meaning...that is what makes a good story for me.  A story that sticks with you that you can't help but ponder about long afterwards.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What book(s) have most influenced you?

Ken Poirot:
I have a special affinity for "Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.  I first read it in French class and I was amazed by the timelessness of this "children's story," as well as its meaning for life and adults.
            There is one part in particular with respect to love and relationships that has always stayed with me.  In summary, it is the section where the little prince finds a garden filled with roses similar in appearance to his rose.  At this moment he realizes, even though his rose is not the only rose in the universe, she is unique to him because he has cared for her and he loves her.  He tells his rose he has tamed her and cared for her, and because of this, now in his eyes she is the only, unique rose in existence.  Isn't that the most perfect and romantic description of true, unconditional love?
            I have carried that with me throughout my life, as far as what love means, and also the responsibility you carry for someone else's heart when you have both "tamed" each other.  I also read this section (in French and translated it for our guests) at my rehearsal dinner the night before my wedding.
            Later in life, I learned Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote "Le Petite Prince" while on vacation in my hometown community, and literally at the house next door to my first serious girlfriend's home (where I spent a couple years of my life through the time I spent there with her).  So I have a very special connection and affinity for this book; it has greatly influenced me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What inspires you most?

Ken Poirot:
I find science, travel, people, and the natural world most inspiring.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your book come from?

Ken Poirot:
It all comes from my personal and professional experiences.  Also, thinking more about these experiences; specifically, the meaning of those experiences for my life and how these experiences can be conveyed to potentially help others on their journey/path through life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating this book?

Ken Poirot:
What I have learned is how surprising it is that two people can read the same book and take away completely different ideas.  Everyone who reads the book takes away from it their own personal experience, which is sometimes so divergent from what you thought readers would take away from it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think your readers will take away from this book?

Ken Poirot:
My greatest hope is each reader will take away something that will help them in their lives.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your book different than others that fall under this genre?

Ken Poirot:
Many of the books in the self-help and business genre are very theoretical.  So many of these books are so theoretical they cannot be implemented in the real world.
            In contrast, my book is different in that it is based upon real-world, practical experience, not theory.  The reader can read the book, interact with it, and literally benefit from it immediately without trying to figure out  how to take a theory and somehow make it practical for their lives.  Initial reader feedback is "Mentor Me" is readily applicable to reader's lives directly from its pages as they read.
            I will also say, although this is a very practical, easy-to-read, and easy-to-implement self-help and business book, there are many deep themes and levels in this book a reader who just reads through it superficially will miss:

There are a plethora of themes (stated and unstated) embedded in this book on a more profound level; most readers will only pick up on this depth with a  second read, because they are expecting a typical, superficial "self-help and business book."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's in your trunk?

Ken Poirot:
I recently mapped out an outline for a simple (and this one is simple without all the complex themes of "Mentor Me") leadership/management model based upon thinking about what made me a successful manager.  I can now relay this to people in an easy to remember way by wiring a short book about it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Ken Poirot:
It is hard to say what the future may bring.  I would certainly like to put aside more time for travel.  I have also contemplated writing a book about investing for the everyday person based upon my experiences as a financial professional.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Ken.  It's been great having you.  I learned a lot from your book and I wish you all the luck in the world with it. :)
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Ken Poirot:



About the book:
Happiness.  Success.  Motivation.  Influence.  Inspiration.
            Groundbreaking Practical Self-Help, Mentoring, Coaching, Personal Success, Business Guide.
            We all want to have success and happiness in every area of our lives, as well as be a positive influence and inspiration to other people.  But too often, we get lost in our resolutions to do just that, having no idea where to start or how to get there.
            This book is the perfect guide!  Fun, Concise, Succinct, Proven, and Filled with Wisdom!  Successful mentor and coach Ken Poirot provides answers and walks you through in this groundbreaking book, Mentor Me: GA=T+E - A Formula to Fulfill Your Greatest Achievement!  Finally a Real-World Practical Self-Help, Mentoring, Coaching, Personal Success, Business Book!

In Mentor Me, you will discover:
- How to formulate a plan to achieve your dreams
- Your personality style and how it relates to the personality style of other people
- How to most effectively learn new information, motivate yourself, and others
- The two most powerful words in the English language and how to put them to work for you
- The best - and most effective - way to handle any conflict in life
- And so much more...

Mentor Me delivers what other books only promise: real-world strategies, techniques, and information that provides effective, tested, and proven results!
            Easy-to-implement directives and personal life illustrations combine to provide readers with the pathway to success they have only previously dreamed about.
            There are also some fun "smile" moments included along the way...
            Begin reading and following the plan found in Mentor Me today and step-by-step, you will transform your life!

No comments: