Friday, April 3, 2015

REVIEW: Into a Million Pieces


Into a Million Pieces
Angela V. Cook

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing
Publication date: 1.27.2015
Pages: 206

Recommended by: Red Adept Publishing, Read 2 Review
Date read: 3.16.2015


The idea of this being a Young Adult book about twin succubi really caught my attention, and I was just as interested in the story as I was in how she did it.  You see, I love the Young Adult genre, but I get a little miffed when I'm reading something that is CLEARLY not appropriate for young adults.  I know, I know - young adults are also people in their early 20s - but there are a lot of teenagers that read this genre and, well, I think that if you want to add a lot of sex and stuff to your book, you might as well just label it adult.

Not only was this a clean read, but it was really well written and kept me hooked from page one all the way to the end.  The story itself was very interesting.  And different - to be honest, I don't think I've ever run across a fantasy about a succubus, and I read a lot of fantasies.  It also kept me guessing, which is something that I look for in books that I read - I want to be surprised and have unexpected things thrown at me, and this author definitely had a few cards up her sleeve.

The characters are great.  I felt a connection with both Allison and Jade, but I especially related to Allison.  Several of the other characters reminded me of people that I knew when I was growing up, some good and some bad.  What was really great about the characters was, after seeing the way they interacted with Allison and/or Jade, you really understood who they were.  

If you are looking for a young adult fantasy with a DIFFERENT paranormal twist, this is one you should take a look at.  And even better - there's a sequel to this book coming soon. :)

About the book:
Allison McKready is a succubus.  So is her twin sister.  But while Allison spends her summer break hiding in the library behind her Goth makeup, Jade fools around as often as she can.  Allison can't believe Jade would ignore their mother's fatal example so recklessly, but concealing a cursed bloodline and its dangerous effects is far from Allison's only problem.  Mean girl Julie's snob mob is determined to ruin her summer, and Aunt Sarah's Bible thumping is getting louder.  Only her new friend, Ren Fischer, offers safe haven from the chaos of her life.
            When one of Jade's risky dates leads to humiliation and sudden tragedy, Allison reels, and Ren catches her.  But as her feelings for him grow, so does her fear that she'll hurt him - or worse - in an unguarded moment.  The choice is coming - love him or save him - but Allison might not live to make it.  One way or another, the curse will have its due.


About the author:
Angela V. Cook lives a very unexciting, but never boring, life with her husband and two children just outside of Detroit.  Like most writers, she's been making up stories for as long as she can remember and can't imagine a life that doesn't involve creating worlds.
            Angela loves to write novels for teens because it's the best outlet for her sarcastic personality, immature sense of humor, and love of romantic firsts.  Her idea of the perfect day involves a quiet house, a good book, and a piece of cheesecake.  Or two.

2 comments:

Angela V. Cook said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my book! I appreciate it :)

Meghan H said...

You are VERY welcome. I enjoyed it quite a bit and, as I said in my review, I can't wait for the sequel :)