Friday, May 8, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Paty Jager


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Paty.  Welcome to The Gal.  It is so great to have you here today.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Paty Jager:
My husband and I raise alfalfa hay in rural eastern Oregon.  We've raised four kids and have nine grandchildren.  I've been a 4-H Leader and 4-H Program Assistant.
            I've published twenty novels, three anthologies, and seven novellas.  All my work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters.  My penchant for research takes me on side trips that eventually turn into yet another story.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Paty Jager:
I'm an introvert.  I dislike gossip.  I like bubble baths.  I dislike talking on the phone.  I prefer to sleep in until 7am.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Paty Jager:
Dr. Seuss's One Fish, Blue Fish.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Paty Jager:
The Handless Maiden by Dorothy Black Crow

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Paty Jager:
I have been a writer my whole life.  Growing up I wrote plays to act out with stuffed animals, picture books, and stories I passed back and forth with friends.  When my children were small I took creative writing classes and wrote freelance human interact stories for the local newspapers.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Paty Jager:
I write in my new office in our house.  We started building our house last July and moved Super Bowl weekend in February of this year.  It is a treat to have a room in the house designated as my writing space.  I have to share with my husband, but he is an early riser and does his work before I get into the office.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Paty Jager:
I like to start my day with emails to kind of warm up my fingers.  I always have a cup of green tea on my desk while writing and like to listen to music as I write.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Paty Jager:
My ideas come from everywhere.  The news, a song, a comment, research.  My first award-winning book came after hearing a DJ on the radio say they read about a child who used their parent's credit card to order items on the computer.  The parents didn't learn of this until the items arrived at the house.  I used the premise for a girl living in a rural area to order a nanny.  That was how my contemporary western romance, Perfectly Good Nanny, came to be.  And a comment my brother made about a unique quality on a bronze statue gave me the idea for my mystery Double Duplicity.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Paty Jager:
LaVyrle Spencer's Hummingbird, Nora Roberts' McGregor books, Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone books, Tony Hillerman's books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Paty Jager:
I enjoy the "stewing and brewing" process where I come up with an idea and let it "cure" in my mind.  I enjoy coming up with the characters, the premise, and writing the first draft.  The part of writing I find the most daunting is the promotion.  It is so time consuming and you never know what works the best to get your book and name in front of readers.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Paty Jager:
A good story for me has engaging characters, good pacing, and a logical sequence.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Paty Jager:
I don't think any one character is just like me, but they all have one or two traits of mine.  I think every writer puts a bit of themselves into characters.  There is no way to avoid it.  Stories all have a bit of the author in them either through character traits or the theme of the story.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Paty Jager:
Haha.  I'm laughing because I write in multiple genres.  I have books in Historical Western Romance, Contemporary Western Romance, Historical Paranormal Romance, Action Adventure and Mystery.  While I write in many genres, they all fit my tagline: Tales of romance and intrigue starring cowboys and Indians.  I'm writing mystery right now because I'm coming back to my first love - mystery books.  I tend to write in the genre of the story I am most excited about writing.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in these genres?

Paty Jager:
The elements that make my cozy mystery different from other cozies is the Native American element and the visions my protagonist has that help her find clues to solve the mysteries.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Paty Jager:
I will continue to write the Shandra Higheagle mysteries until I run out of ideas.  I have one more book to write in the Halsey Homecoming trilogy - a historical western romance trilogy and I have plans to write a historical western mystery series with Pinkerton agents.  I am also continuing my Isabella Mumphrey Adventure series.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Paty.  It was great having you.
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Paty Jager:
You can learn more about me on my blogmy website, or on FacebookGoodreads and Twitter.

About the book:
On the eve of the biggest art event at Huckleberry Mountain Resort, potter Shandra Higheagle finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.  She's ruled out as a suspect, but now it's up to her to prove the friend she witnessed fleeing the scene was just as innocent.  With help from her recently deceased Nez Perce grandmother, Shandra becomes more confused than ever but just as determined to discover the truth.
            Detective Ryan Greer prides himself on solving crimes and refuses to ignore a single clue, including Shandra Higheagle's visions.  While Shandra is hesitant to trust her dreams, Ryan believes in them and believes in her.
            Can the pair uncover enough clues for Ryan to make an arrest before one of them becomes the next victim?

4 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Thank you for having me on your blog today!

Meghan H said...

You are VERY welcome. It was great to learn more about you AND I love the pictures you sent me :)

Paty Jager said...

Molly loves to show off! And the tractor photo pretty much depicts my life with I'm not writing.

Meghan H said...

Molly has every reason TO show off. She's freaking adorable!! I have always wanted to drive a tractor. It looks like lots of fun. :)