Friday, May 22, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Matt Drabble


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Everyone, this is is Matt.  Matt, this is everyone.  :)  I'm pretty excited about this interview because I'm a big fan and own almost everything that you've written, so give me a second while I fangirl *swoon* (haha). 
            Okay, I'm better now.  Tell us a little bit about yourself, Matt.

Matt Drabble:
Born in Bath, England in 1974, a self-processed "funny onion," equal parts sport loving jock and comic book geek.  I am a lover of horror and character driven stories.  I am also an A.S. sufferer who took to writing full time two years ago after being forced to give up the day job.  

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Matt Drabble:
  • The first concert that I attended with Bon Jovi.  The support act was a band called The Dan Reed Network.  I became a big fan of theirs and ended up being pen pals with their costume designer.
  • I was a teenager when the movie "The Lost Boys" came out.  My friends and I all brought long black coats from local charity (thrift) shops and wore them no matter how hot the weather got.
  • Being a big comic book fan, I once wrote a letter to a Spiderman issue professing my admiration for the cliff-hanger storyline.  They published my letter and were very impressed by my writing t the point of saying that maybe one day when I grew up I might be a comic book writer.  The trouble was that I was 22 at the time.
  • I was a very promising rugby player when I was young and I thought that I might have the chance of a pro career, but that ended when we moved and I went from an all boy's school to a mixed school and discovered girls.
  • During an IQ test when I was younger, I came out with a score of 142 which put me in the upper echelons of the scale.  It serves no real purpose in life, it only meant that I was able to maintain a full time job at university and only attend a handful of classes while still passing the exams and gaining my qualifications.  In reality I tend to get bored very easily and am often fidgety.  I tend to read a book with the TV on and music playing at the same time in order to relax.
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Matt Drabble:
Lord of the Flies.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Matt Drabble:
James Herbert's "The Fog" and the graphic novel "Watchmen."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Matt Drabble:
I have always dabbled with writing and would often have several notepads with incomplete books and story ideas.  A few years ago I was diagnosed with a degenerative back condition and couldn't work a normal full time job anymore.  As a result I needed to find a way of generating some kind of income and pulled out some of my old notes and thought that I'd try and at least finish a book.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Matt Drabble:
I have a small office at home.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Matt Drabble:
I cannot write in silence, I always have the TV on normally with a movie or the best thing is a mini-series.  It has to be something familiar enough that I can follow it without watching it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Matt Drabble:
Anything by Stephen King, particularly "The Dead Zone."  I love a novel with multiple story strands and characters.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Matt Drabble:
Sometimes I suppose motivation can be a problem if there are other things going on or if a new book isn't getting the attention that you hoped for.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Matt Drabble:
It is always characters for me.  How can you care about their predicament and struggle if you're not interested in them.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Matt Drabble:
I think that every character is me.  It is said that when you dream everyone in your dream is actually you.  I think that all the characters that I write are me in some way or the me I'd like to be or the me that I fear I am.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Matt Drabble:
I write in the Horror/Dark Thriller category.  I enjoy the pacing and creating someone that the reader will become interested in before placing them in jeopardy.  Horror gives a wider canvas to paint on without becoming completely unbelievable.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Matt Drabble:
I always try and write three dimensional characters with well rounded storylines.  I know that there is a market for instant gratification and some readers will get bored if someone hasn't been decapitated on the first page, but I always try and follow King's example and create a whole world.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?  (Everyone has a book or project, which doesn't necessarily have to be book related, that they have put aside for a 'rainy day' or for when they have extra time.  Do you have one?)

Matt Drabble:
I have a "Man-Cave" that I'm constantly tinkering with.  I'm a big comic book fan as well as movies and gaming.  So I have a lot of self-built shelving and display cabinets.  My latest project that I've just finished is a coffee table where the top is a replica of an old Nintendo game controller.


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Matt Drabble:
I am currently writing a sequel to "Asylum" which will be out later this year.  I also have half of my first Zombie novel done called "The Croatoan Virus."

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
It's been great having you on, Matt.  Thanks for stopping by. :)


About the book:
It has been 8 years since the country cowered in fear as the serial killer The Crucifer wreaked bloody havoc.
            Jane Parkes has always considered her ability a fine line between a gift and a curse.  She calls it The Shadow World, a place where she can see through the eyes of killers and help bring them to justice.
            Her desperation to prove herself led to a basement confrontation that she wasn't prepared for.  As a result, the Detective that had allowed her to work on the case lay dead alongside the killer.
            She put away her ability to see inside the minds of monsters for 8 long years, but now someone else has taken up The Crucifers' mantle.  Someone is killing again, only this time The Shadow World is a two way street and he wants to play.
            Sucked into a desperate race for survival, Jane is going to learn that sometimes when you stare into the darkness, someone stares back.


About the author:
Born in Bath, England in 1974, a self-possessed "funny onion," equal parts sport loving jock and comic book geek.  I am a lover of horror and character driven stories.  I am also an A.S. sufferer who took to writing full time two years ago after being forced to give up the day job.
            I have a career high position of 5th on Amazon's Horror Author Rank of which I am immensely proud.
            "Gated" is a UK and US Horror Chart Top Best Seller and winner of the Full Moon Awards 2014 Horror Book of the Year.
            "Asylum - 13 Tales of Terror" is a US Horror Chart #5.  It was also voted #5 on The Horror Novel Review's Top 10 Books of 2013 and is a Reader Favorite 2014 Gold Medal Winner.
            Both "The Travelling Man" and "Abra-Cadaver" won Indie Book of the Day awards.

Website (visit to download a free short story)

No comments: