Friday, May 8, 2015

REVIEW: Minia


Tinsbury Adventure 1:
Minia
Z.S. Mogul

Genre: Children, Chapter Book, Sword & Sorcery, Detectives
Publication date: 3.26.2015
Pages: 202

Date read: 5.5.2015
Recommended by: The Reading Sofa, Read 2 Review


Usually, when I am done with a book, I jump directly onto my laptop, no matter what time of day or night it is, and write out my review.  This time, I just had no words, so I've let it stew a little bit in my mind, and yet still I'm unsure what to say.

I think the problem is that I am stuck somewhere in the middle.

I want to start off with saying that I liked the story.  It was interesting and there was a lot going on, though sometimes too much.  It wasn't really feasible, but at the same time, it's a child's fantasy and I sort of expect them to not be really feasible.  It's when you are young that you learn to use your imagination, to believe in magic and adventure, and I can see kids acting the stuff in this book out when they are pretending with their friends, siblings or stuffed animals.  The characters were creative and I had a lot of fun getting to know them, but unfortunately the author acts like we already know them at the beginning of the story and things are a little confusing at first.

The writing itself was a big problem for me.  The lack of editing (as if the author didn't even read what he wrote after he was done with the first draft) was frightening.  Not just little hiccups like punctuation and misspelled words, but the whole story is completely unorganized and at times I was very confused.  The story does have potential, though, so I encourage the author to get an editor to go through the whole thing and help him organize the mess that he has here.

About the book:
In this thrilling adventure, Emily, Nick, Peter and Grace journey through the exotic rainforests and treacherous waters of the Caribbean in search of their missing friend.  In their quest, they discover a magical island where giant iguanas roam freely, people have red dots on their ears, and any outsiders entering the island are turned into statues or slaves.
            They run into spiritual masters who can tame wild jaguars; Mama Macumba - who claims to be the world's most famous spell caster; a friendly ghost riding on an iguana; poisonous Mano lizards and flying snakes; and a limping man who has a golden tooth.
            Come join Nick, Grace, Peter and Emily as they discover a new culture where warrior dancers and Meecolaaa players abound; catch the chicken and goat racing are favorite pastimes; passion fruit is a staple food; and banana jugglers and fire breathers are popular entertainers.


About the author:
Minia, a thrilling, adventure novel for young readers, is Z.S. Mogul's first venture into fictional writing.  He has traveled extensively with his wife and two young children.  Together, they have taken the roads less explored, visiting exotic places such as Trinidad & Tobago, Oaxaca, Mexico, Istanbul, and Antigua, Guatemala.  Mini is both an exaggerated and creative re-expression of some of these experiences.  Z.S. Mogul lives in New York.

No comments: