Tuesday, June 16, 2015

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Kat de Falla


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, Kat.  Welcome to The Gal.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Kat de Falla:
My name is Kat (clap clap) I have teen spirit (clap clap) I don't do drugs (clap clap) So check me out!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are 5 things about you that most people don't know?

Kat de Falla:
Um, I guess you now know I love the Spartan Cheerleaders from SNL.


I'm a drug dealer.  JUST KIDDING - but I am a pharmacist!
I found my soulmate and it rocks!
I treat dogs like people even though I know they are dogs.
Going to bed every night makes me happy because I sincerely love sleeping!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Kat de Falla:
Hans Christian Anderson Fairy Tales before I was in school.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide to begin writing?

Kat de Falla:
I wrote an autobiography in 7th grade and when my teacher read it out loud to our class, she was laughing so hard she was crying.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Kat de Falla:
Must have my feet elevated.  My day job doesn't allow that, so my night job MUST!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Kat de Falla:
In a chair with my feet up (see above) :)

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Kat de Falla:
Only that there are not enough hours in the day to get out all the ideas in my head.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Kat de Falla:
Plot.  A flat character is still a character, but with no plot moving things forward...


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What book(s) have most influenced you?

Kat de Falla:
The complete works of William Shakespeare.  Seriously!

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What inspires you most?

Kat de Falla:
My husband, my kids, my family.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your book come from?

Kat de Falla:
Absolutely everywhere - watch out!  I have a plaque that says, "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel!"

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which of our characters do you think is the most like you?

Kat de Falla:
I want desperately to believe I'm one of my strong, female heroines.  But I'm WAY to clumsy.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating this book?

Kat de Falla:
That being a girl, I really missed out a lot during the BMX era while I was riding my banana seat bike carefully around the same city block.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think your readers will take away from this book?

Kat de Falla:
I really want little kiddos to read it and go, "Forget my video games, I'm going outside to ride my bike!"

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your book different than others that fall under this genre?

Kat de Falla:
I honestly don't know.  I hope it touches people, like writing it touches me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What's in your 'trunk'?  (Everyone has something that they've hidden away to work on, whether it's book related or not, 'when the time is right.'  What's yours?)

Kat de Falla:
I think my husband has some sort of survival kit in case I'm stuck in a snowstorm alone or my car breaks down.  Don't tell him, but I'd text him to come get me before I'd ever open that scary red bag.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Kat de Falla:
Love and laughter.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Kat.  It's been great having you.
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Kat de Falla:
Goodreads ** Blog ** Website ** Twitter ** Facebook


About the book:
Summer vacation is almost here!  And Pea O'Neil is stoked to try out the new local BMX track which is finally open.  He and his gang of friends can ride all summer long!
            But when Pea tries a back flip, he unwittingly opens a portal to another dimension and hordes of flying mutant zombie rats are unleashed upon the city.  With the help of an otherworldly talking cat sent to help prevent the demise of humankind, Pea and his friends must hunt down the hungry mutants and send them back before the portal closes.
            But when the zombie rats attack a neighbor man, the boys have to enlist the help of a graveyard looney and the city's stray cats.  With time running out, Pea and his gang track the monsters to the city's sewer system.  But in the city sewer of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it's eat... or get eaten.


About the author:
Author Kat de Falla was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she learned to roller skate, ride a banana seat bike, and love Shakespeare thanks to her high school English teacher.
            Four years at the UW-Madison wasn't enough, so she returned to her beloved college town for her Doctor of Pharmacy degree and is happily employed as a retail pharmacist where she fills prescriptions and chats with her patients.
            She is married to her soul mate, composer Lee de Falla, and raising four kids together ala the Brady Bunch.

2 comments:

Kat de Falla said...

Thanks so much for having me! This was such a fun interview :)

Meghan H said...

You are VERY welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I ask the questions that I want to know. :)