Tuesday, June 16, 2015

REVIEW: Flying Mutant Zombie Rats


Moto Maddie BMX Portal 1:
Flying Mutant Zombie Rats
By: Kat de Falla

Genre: Children, Scary Stories, Spine-Chilling Horror, Action & Adventure, Humorous

Publisher: Sunquills/Ravenswood Publishing
Publication date: 6.1.2015
Pages: 83

Recommended by: Worldwind Virtual Book Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 6.14.2015


I have to be honest: I really wasn't sure about this one at first.  I mean, the cover is pretty cool and the book description had me curious, but the first chapter didn't grab and hold my attention.  I am too hard-headed to give up, though, and decided to read it to some of the kids in my complex.  They loved it.  They loved it so much, they wouldn't let me stop reading.  We ended up finishing the whole story in one sitting (which really doesn't happen with this group) and they were quite upset that there wasn't another story with the same people (not yet, at least).  This turned out to be a really fun read, one I recommend to kids who love "this kind of stuff."


About the book:
Summer vacation is almost here!  And Pea O'Neil is stoked to try out the new local BMX track which is finally open.  He and his gang of friends can ride all summer long!
            But when Pea tries a back flip, he unwittingly opens a portal to another dimension and hordes of flying mutant zombie rats are unleashed upon the city.  With the help of an otherworldly talking cat sent to help prevent the demise of humankind, Pea and his friends must hunt down the hungry mutants and send them back before the portal closes.
            But when the zombie rats attack a neighbor man, the boys have to enlist the help of a graveyard looney and the city's stray cats.  With time running out, Pea and his gang track the monsters to the city's sewer system.  But in the city sewer of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, it's eat... or get eaten.


About the author:
Author Kat de Falla was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where she learned to roller skate, ride a banana seat bike, and love Shakespeare thanks to her high school English teacher.
            Four years at the UW-Madison wasn't enough, so she returned to her beloved college town for her Doctor of Pharmacy degree and is happily employed as a retail pharmacist where she fills prescriptions and chats with her patients.
            She is married to her soul mate, composer Lee de Falla, and raising four kids together ala the Brady Bunch.

2 comments:

Kat de Falla said...

I love the kids in your complex! I'll make sure you are the first to know about the next book (I'm working on it!) and I'll mail a gift pack to the kids in your awesome complex! I like them already :) Thanks so much for the review!

Meghan H said...

That's awesome of you!! They are a pretty great group of kids. My mother and I are roommates and they come a-knockin on my door and ask her if I can "come out and play," then make sure that I have my Kindle or iPad with me so that I can read them stories. I love that they always want me to read to them. :) I'll DEFINITELY have to share this comment with them :)