Monday, June 15, 2015

REVIEW: Giant Dreams and Dragons


Giant Dreams & Dragons
By: James Womack

Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Genetic Engineering
Publisher: Primedia E-Launch
Publication date: 1.29.2015
Pages: 29

Recommended by: Read 2 Review
Date read: 6.10.2015


Professor Doss just wants the recognition he believes he deserves.  In order to get it, he heads far off into the woods, to a secluded cabin that it takes days to get to.  His experiment: to bring life to something that has been long extinct.  But what will happen if he succeeds?

This was an interesting story, reminiscent of Jurassic Park.  I enjoyed the characters and the storyline, loved the unexpected twists, and the ending.  Definitely an interesting and fast-paced read.  

My only issue, which is rather trivial, is that I felt like I was reading his journal instead of living the story as it was told.  

I would definitely read more of this author's work.

About the book:
Professor Buford Doss never got the respect or credit he deserved.  Such prestige went to what he insisted were inferior peers and even mentally dense graduate assistants.  But Professor Doss had a plan to remedy all of that.  A big plan.  A miraculous plan.  And he was anxious to set it in motion, even if it meant engaging in a bit of deceit.  You may say he had no intention of 'dragon' his feet on the matter.  No siree.  Not Dr. Buford Doss.


About the author:
I'm a deaf person who likes to write stories.  Actually, I prefer telling stories in American Sign Language (ASL), but not everyone understands it.  For me, storytelling is storytelling, so writing stories gives me much pleasure.  My hope is readers get pleasure from what I've written.  Especially children because I like to think I never lost the wonder of being a child.  I'm not focused on any specific genre so my stories range from stories for children, to science fiction and religious based stories.  I hold a bachelor degree from California State University of Northridge.  I u sed to teach Deaf high school students before teaching college students full time in the last two decades of my career.  I'm married to a really cool woman who was also my Gallaudet University classmate during my time there.  My non-writing activities include cooking, fishing, playing with my youngest grandkids, and experimenting with applying computer software to educational purpose.

No comments: