Monday, June 15, 2015

REVIEW: Hunting for Witches


The Ludus 1:
Hunting for Witches
By: Lana Pecherczyk

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Creative Cartel Publishing
Publication date: 4.25.2015
Pages: 424

Recommended by: Bewitching Book Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 6.9.2015


Hunting for Witches is a novel written in first person from Roo's point of view.  She's a little different, but at the same time, you feel like she could be you, or at least someone you know.  She has family issues, has that "different" problem, has had some trouble in her life, and is a single young lady who is unsure of herself - but she has her reasons.  

Now, I'm usually not a fan of first person novels, mainly because they can come across as a journal entry or a letter to a friend.  This one, though, I really enjoyed.  Coming from the first person, we had the chance to get to know her a lot better than we would have if we were learning about her from a narrator's point of view, and it flows quite nicely.  The author also manages to let us see glimpses into how other characters are feeling, and what they are going through, which I really enjoyed.  For example, at the beginning of the story, Roo's sister gives her some dream recordings, which allow her to see things from the past, and get a better idea of how and why her sister feels the way that she does.  

The characters in this book were amazing.  The story starts off merely good, but gets a lot better as you go through the book.  I think it's a good beginning to a series, and am interested in reading more - I really want to know where these characters go and how the story pans out.

There were a few things I didn't like, and they could, honestly, just be me.  First, I was given a copy from Bewitching Book Tours and there were some editing issues in the book.  Not a lot to really deter most people from reading, and I was not told whether this was a completed novel or not, but it was enough to kind of bug me a little bit.  Second, I get so SO bored with novels that seem to constantly (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) harp on how good looking specific characters are.  The girl can't stop looking at the guy, the guy notices how good looking she is, they keep talking about muscles and body parts and blah blah blah blah blah.  Maybe that's what reality is like for a lot of people, maybe that's what people envision when they think of fantasies, but neither of those are true of me.  We get that he's good looking.  WE don't have to keep discussing it.  And that leads me to my next point.  Third, the attraction - or "attraction" - whatever.  They kind of took away from the story for me.  I found myself irritated with those bits, wanting to go back to the bits that moved the story along.  But, again, these problems may just be my "problems" and not an actual problem for someone else.


About the book:
Witches have been obliterated - or so the world hopes.  At 24, Roo struggles to keep her DNA-changing abilities secret.  She doesn't feel like a witch, but if she isn't, how can she manipulate the physical world?  Why does she feel the energy of all living things?
            On tenuous ground, Roo keeps her skills hidden with the help of her sexy songstress BFF and her barmaid job at The Cauldron.  Hiding in plain sight seems to be working until a mysterious witch hunter comes to town.  Rooms powers are growing and, when a witch possesses the body of her sister, she defends her using any means possible.
            Roo is exposed and attacked from all sides.  She must learn to trust others while she discovers her identity and masters her powers to save the lives of her loved ones.  She needs to convince herself and her town that she's more than a witch.
            Inspired by mythology, science and fantasy, this fascinating debut novel is set in a brilliantly envisioned world where life is a secret game played by gods and witches until death...


About the author:
As an author, marketer, and artist, Lana is a triple threat!  She also makes a mean chocolate cake, and has Level 46 Creative Mojo.  A fan of "pro-caffeinating," Lana loves writing mash-ups of the fantasy, sci-fi, romance, and horror genres.
            An author in her own right, with her urban fantasy novel Hunting for Witches recently released, Lana creates all of her own cover work and illustrations, and infuses websites with her unique stylish talents and quirky graphic design.
            She loves Sailor Moon.  No judgment.

2 comments:

taniekitty said...

Great review! I really like the cover for this one. I added it to my tbr list on Goodreads. :)

Meghan H said...

Yay!! I think it's a book you will like. I love the cover - the author did it. You should check out the book spotlight I did on it. She sent me some character drawings she did and they are SPOT ON what I imagined in my head. :)