Saturday, June 20, 2015

REVIEW: Painting the Moon


Chilton Crosse 1:
Painting the Moon
By: Traci Borum

Genre: Women's Fiction, Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing
Publication date: 6.7.2014
Pages: 320

Recommended by: Red Adept Publishing, Read 2 Review
Date read: 6.10.2015


I want to start off with saying that I am not a big romance book fan, but I am a big fan of Red Adept Publishing and have read several of the books they have published, either really liking or loving each one.  When the email came in about this one, the book description sounded interesting and, having read no bad book by them yet, I decided to give it a try.

As a whole, I liked the story.  It was cute and I found the characters interesting.  I liked how the romance didn't just happen overnight, but things took a little time to see where they would/could go.  I liked how it began and it was a surprisingly quick read.  It reminded me a lot of a cozy mystery, a bit of light reading, with some twists and turns that were fun to read about.  When this book was done, I was excited to move on to the second one.

I had a few problems, though.  I thought it was just me with some of the British parts of the book, but after looking at some of the other reviews, I see that I am not the only one who noticed things that didn't seem quite right.  (I'm not British, though, so maybe I'm wrong in my understanding.)  Also, everything came so easily for the main character and, being considered "Women's Fiction" and "Contemporary Romance," I expected the whole thing to feel a little more realistic.  (Not to say that everything comes easily, but, well, you have to read the story for that.)

There were some parts that I expected, and it didn't shock me that they were happening, but there were other parts that were unexpected. 

Would I recommend it?  Yeah.  If you like cozy books, with a cute romance, this could be a good read for you.

About the book:
When Noelle Cooke inherits a quaint English cottage and an art gallery from her famous Aunt Joy, she welcomes a departure from her San Diego routine.  But the lure of the Cotswolds, combined with a locked cottage room and a revealing journal, entice her to stay and discover more, including a way to save the gallery from financial ruin.  And that means remaining in England.
            When her childhood sweetheart, Adam Spencer, begins work on a restoration project in Noelle's village, their friendship blossoms.  But as her feelings for Adam deepen, she struggles with memories of what might have been and yearns for a future once thought lost.  Faced with a life-altering revelation Aunt Joy took to her grave and a wrenching choice regarding the man she loves, Noelle could lose far more than her heart.


About the author:
Traci Borum is a writing teacher and native Texan.  She's also an avid reader of women's fiction, most especially Elin Hildebrand and Rosamunde Pilcher novels.  Since the age of 12, she's written poetry, short stories, magazine articles, and novels.
            Traci also adores all things British.  She even owns a British dog (Corgi) and is completely addicted to Masterpiece Theater - must be all those dreamy accents!  Aside from having big dreams of getting a book published, it's the little things that make her the happiest: deep talks with friends, a strong cup of hot chocolate, a hearty game of fetch with her Corgi, and puffy white Texas clouds always reminding her to "look up, slow down, enjoy your life."

2 comments:

Traci B said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review the book! It's appreciated.
Traci

Meghan H said...

You're welcome. I'm sorry I'm so late getting it posted. It's been a tad crazy around here. The next one is almost ready to post. :)