Sunday, June 7, 2015

You, Me ... & a Cup of Tea #3

It's been awhile since I've done a post like this.  My problem was I had this 'brilliant idea' and went at it straight on...in a big mac truck...without having any clue where I was going...taking down anything that got in my way...and it ended up just not working for me.  So, after some thinking - and planning - it has been revamped and I've got a couple of interviews I will be bringing to you over the next couple of weeks.  I hope you enjoy learning more about these people like I did.


Good morning and welcome to The Gal.  It was really hard deciding just who would be my first blogger ... so hard that I threw all the names in a giant cup and shook it really hard.  Ta-da!!  You are my #1 on the new ... and improved ... You, Me... & a Cup of Tea (and I'm really glad, too). :)

Q: Who are you?

A: Hi, I'm Jon Recluse, the reading recluse.

Q: What are 5 things most people don't know about you?

A: 1) I collect bookmarks obsessively.  2) I have to properly organize other people's books.  I even re-organized the library in my mom's 55+ community.  3) I  unconsciously replace song lyrics with obscene versions.  4) I was once the subject of a parent/teacher meeting after telling my nephew that koalas smother tourists for beer money.  5) I'm deplorably adorable.

Q: Why did you start your blog?

A: I liked the idea of sharing book recommendations with other fans of Dark Fiction...and having a place to babble.

Q: What's the story behind the name?

A: I'm a recluse.  Reclusive Reads, y'know?

Q: What genre is your favorite and why?  What genre is your least favorite and why?

A: My favorite genre is Dark Fiction, specifically Quiet Horror.  I've always loved the chill, ever since I heard my uncle tell stories he remembered from the old radio shows like "Lights Out" and "Inner Sanctum" by candlelight when I was 12.
            My least favorite is Romance.  I'm just not wired for that nonsense.

Q: Do you prefer ebooks, physical books or audio books?

A: I will always prefer physical books, just because they are physical, y'know?

Q: What do you typically look for when seeking new books to read?

A: Something different from the "flavor of the month."  Something subtle.  Quiet.  Substance and suspense.

Q: How do you organize your bookshelves?

A: My physical books are organized alphabetically, by genre.  Horror/Mystery/Thriller, and Fantasy.  Anthologies and Collections have their own section.  Non-fiction is organized alphabetically by Biography, History, True Crime, Occult, Science and Reference.


Q: Do you have any bookish quirks?

A: Hell, yeah.  I always have at least one book on my Kindle with me when I leave the house.  I keep books in every room.  I organize my shelves on a daily basis.  I visit the library at least twice a week...

Q: What was your favorite book or series as a child?  What is the first book you remember reading?

A: McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss.  And that's the first book I remember reading by myself.

Q: Is there any author that you would like to meet?

A: Just one?  Kealan Patrick Burke.

Q: What are your bookish (book/story related) pet peeves?

A: Book related: people who bend pages, eat over open books, borrow without returning or return books damaged.
            Story related: characters who accept the impossible without question, y'know...someone yells "Vampire!" and they're off sharpening furniture.  And I can't stand sex in books.  You want realism, describe bathroom breaks.  No one takes a dump in fiction anymore.

Q: What is your review style like?

A: Concise.  Just my opinion, spoiler free.

Q: Has blogging changed your reading habits?

A: Not really, or at least not yet.  I read and review what I read and review, for the most part.

Q: How do you typically go about selecting titles from the suggestions sent to you?  What's a good way to catch your eye to ensure a review?

A: I haven't gotten any suggestions sent to me yet.
            If you want to catch my eye, look at what I read, review and enjoy.  Offer me something in my comfort zone, and I will review it.


Q: What is the best and worst thing about blogging?

A: So far, the best has been being able to share my love of Dark Fiction with others.  The worst has been not knowing if I'm succeeding.

Q: Do you have any blogging pet peeves?

A: Not really, beyond the usual glitches.

Q: Do you have any tips for people looking to start a blog?

A: If you have something you want to share, and you're enthusiastic about it, just do it.

Q: What is the biggest challenge you face as a blogger?

A: Being a lifelong recluse and trying to connect with people.

Q: Who are some authors you think your readers should check out?

A: Kealan Patrick Burke, James Newman, Glen Krisch, Greg Gifune, John R. Little, Ronald Kelly, Lee Thompson, Jonathan Janz, William Meikle, Michelle Garza and Melissa Lason, John Connolly, James Moore, Scott Nicholson, Michael McDowell, Jack Cady, Brian Hodge, Lisa Manetti, Mo Hayder, Andrew Vachss...

Q: If there was something you'd want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

A: Their next favorite book recommendation.



Hey, Jon.  I don't know how much my opinion counts on this whole 'not knowing if I'm succeeding' thing, but I think you are.  I love reading your reviews and  have added several books to my TBR list because of you. :)
            Thanks for stopping by.  Not only do I look forward to reading more from you, but I'm sure most of my readers will feel the same way.  :)

5 comments:

A Voracious Reader said...

Hi Jon! Horror is one of my least favorite genres to read, but I do read it. I'll have to check out the authors you recommended. Thanks! :)

Charlene said...

A most excellent interview!

Meghan H said...

Thank you :) I interviewed a most excellent guy, so it was easy. He had some great answers.

Jon Recluse said...

Thanks so much, Meghan!

Meghan H said...

You're welcome, Jon :)