Wednesday, August 5, 2015

REVIEW: Mother of Demons


Department 18 #5:
Mother of Demons
By: Maynard Sims

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publication date: 8.4.2014
Pages: 226

Recommended by: Mick Sims, Read 2 Review
Date read: 8.3.2015


I am a HUGE fan of horror and have heard a lot of good things about this series, so when I received an email from one of the authors, asking me if I would be interested in reading this book, I knew I had to take them up on the offer.  And I am SO glad that I did.

I want to say that it is more than just a horror.  There is a lot of mystery going on, as a group of people (some cops, some paranormal investigators, and some members of Department 18, a government group that deals with paranormal threats) search, not only for a friend of their's niece, but for a bad guy who they think has captured her and is on a killing spree.

I really enjoyed each and every one of the characters.  Some were fleshed out more than others, and I'm sure there are things that I don't know specifically because this is the first book that I have read in the series, but they do explain, in part, a few specific things that have happened before.  Jason West, Violet Bulmer, Harry Bailey and Susan Tyler were all very interesting characters, and the way each of them helped with the investigations, and the way they dealt with each other (and others that they dealt with along the way) was interesting to read.  I also really enjoyed the character of Alice Logan.  She had a complexity (as did Violet) that made me enjoy reading about her, no matter what she did.

I also really enjoyed the way these two write, the way they describe things.  I was instantly pulled into the book and they kept me interested throughout the whole thing.  I mean, it was HARD for me to put it down.  Each murder was well written and the whole concept was quite good.

I absolutely loved the story, the twists (appearing unexpectedly to the very end), but it ended far too easily for my liking.  Not one big beautiful package, which I would have loathed, but I expected just a little more difficulty in the final showdown.  But I liked it.  Things happened that I didn't quite expect, that shocked me - and that's definitely a good thing.  I would totally read more of this series, and I plan to go back and read the ones I've missed.  Well done.


About the book:
The hunt is on!
            Alice Logan has gone missing and Harry Bailey and Department 18 have been called to help find her.  The main suspect is Anton Markos, a satanic cult leader who has a predilection for young women like Alice.  Members of Markos' cult start turning up dead - shredded by what seems to be a wild animal.  Is there a madman within the cult?  Or is it something far more horrible?
            Can Department 18 discover the impossible truth and end the spree of murder, insanity and carnage?  Or will they become the prey?




No comments: