Wednesday, September 2, 2015

REVIEW: Lady in Blue


Grunge Gods & Graveyards 2:
The Lady in Blue
By: Kimberly G. Giarratano

Genre: Mystery, Historical, Paranormal, Young Adult
Publisher: Kimberly G. Giarratano
Publication date: 4.30.2015
Pages: 161

Recommended by: Meraki Book Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 8.29.2015



I was really impressed with the first book in the Grunge Gods & Graveyards series, Grunge Gods & Graveyards, so I was excited about reading this one.  And once I picked it up, I could not put it down.

As with the first book, this story revolves around the Bloom family, and the fact that some of them can see and speak to the dead.  Liz is going to school for criminology and wants to help her Great Aunt finally be able to find out who murdered her, and move to the other side, before it's too late.  Lana (who is the one that tells the story, and also was in the first book) wants to know the truth, but at the same time, remembering the truth hurts her.

I've said this before - and I'm sure I'll say it again - but I absolutely love the way that Kimberly writes.  She is so good at making the reader feel the emotions that the characters are feeling, whether the character be good or bad - and "bad" is a relative term.  She has a way of keeping you interested in the story she is telling.  Her words flow so smoothly that, before you know it, the story has come to an end and you're sitting there with these raw emotions.  I laughed, I got angry, I cried ... an amazing story.

I really like both the characters of Liz and Lana.  I like how the story is told from Lana's point of view, but it is Liz, with questioning that she learned in class, that pulls the story out of her.  There's a lot of "flash backs" as Lana remembers what happened in the last weeks of her life, but it's not uncomfortable.  In fact, it just feels right as you "go back in time" and see how things played out at the time.  The similarities between Liz and Lana are apparent in their conversations, and the fact that they are both so willing to learn from each other is so nice to watch.

The end was both happy and sad.  Not only is it the end of the book, it is the end of the story, as this series only has two books.  As far as I'm concerned, she ended the story perfectly, and I can't wait to read the next book by this author.

At the time this review is written, this story is free on Amazon, and I would definitely recommend that my readers go and pick it up.  


About the book:
The Lady in Blue stole a car and fled Ash.
Out on Devlin Road she emerged from a crash.
She wandered the woods with her head dripping blood.
Then drowned in the river in water and mud.

All her life, criminology student Liz Bloom has heard this rhyme, meant to scare young campers.  When she's about to take on her first cold case, Liz learns the eerie song is about her great aunt Lana.  Liz isn't big on studying, but she does have one advantage most criminologists don't - she can speak to the dead.
            In 1955, Lana Bloom was an eighteen-year-old beauty with Hollywood dreams who fell in love with a stranger.  When Lana died in a bloody car crash, all signs pointed to the mysterious man who was never seen again.  As Lana unravels the details surrounding her last week of life, the tale she weaves for Liz is one of desire, betrayal, and murder.  But if Lana can't identify her killer, not only will a murderer escape punishment, but her ghostly form will cease to exist.  And Liz will have failed the most important assignment of all - family.


About the author:
Kimberly G. Giarratano is the author of Grunge Gods & Graveyards, a YA paranormal mystery set in the mid-90s.  She lives in the woods of northeastern Pennsylvania with her husband and small children.  A former teacher and YA librarian, Kimberly adores Etsy, Jon Stewart, The Afghan Whigs, '90s nostalgia, and (of course) everything YA.  She also speaks Spanish, but is woefully out of practice.

4 comments:

Kimberly G. Giarratano said...

Thanks Meghan!!

Meghan H said...

You're welcome!! Thank YOU for such a great read :)

Jill said...

Hey Meghan (and Kim!). I'm totally intrigued by what you say here about similarities between Liz and Lana. I've read The Lady in Blue, but at the time I read it, wasn't quite thinking in those terms. I agree, though - Liz and Lana both help each other, and they both want to learn.

One of my underlying big ideas...theoretical orientations, if you like...is that readers both bring meaning to and take meaning from what they read (reader response/transaction theory). So different readers can read exactly the same book and get different things out of it!

Meghan H said...

I agree with what you're saying, Jill. I really think that books speak to us in ways that we never expected them to, and sometimes in ways the author never intended. With just one line, a reader can rethink their lives, their futures, their relationships ... anything. And something that I notice or learn can be completely different from something that someone else notices or learns. That's one of the reasons that I write reviews the way that I do - I like to add what I liked and what I didn't like, especially if it's a book that I don't like, because someone may love all the things I was disappointed by.

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. :)