Friday, October 16, 2015

THE GAL'S 31 DAYS OF HORROR: AMONG THE STACKS: Tim Miller


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Tim.  Welcome to The Gal.  Thanks for joining us together.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Tim Miller:
Well I grew up in Indiana.  Served four years in the U.S. Marines from 1992-96.  I've been writing since I was a kid, but began publishing around 2011.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Tim Miller:
I collect Funko Pop toys.
I love Minions.
I have a lap dog named Pika.
I used to train mixed martial arts.
I've been married twice (still married to the second one).

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Tim Miller:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Tim Miller:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Tim Miller:
I've written ever since I was a kid.  I was always writing short stories for fun or for my friends.  Growing up it was the one thing I was always good at.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Tim Miller:
In my living room on my couch.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Tim Miller:
Not really.  I'm a stay at home dad so I work writing in around driving the kids to and from school and their events.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Tim Miller:
I have a pretty good process now.  For me it's trying not to duplicate myself and keep things new and original.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?  Who are some authors that have inspired your writing style?

Tim Miller:
Depraved by Bryan Smith, Header by Edward Lee, and Off Season by Jack Ketchum had huge influences on me.  Another is The Resurrectionist by Wrath James White.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Tim Miller:
While I love gore, blood and guts, I feel the characters need to feel realistic and likable.  As well as there being a solid plot.  Though sometimes a book of just madness and chaos can be fun, this is where good characters come in.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does it take for you to love a character?  How do you utilize that when creating your characters?

Tim Miller:
I think giving them flaws and a sense of humor is important and just rounding them out.  No real person is all good or all bad.  Even the biggest douchebags have "good" moments.  So I try to capture that in my characters.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Tim Miller:
I would say Tony from Road to Darkness.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you turned off by a bad cover?  To what degree were you involved in creating your book covers?

Tim Miller:
Covers are everything.  They are your packaging and number one marketing tool.  I'm directly involved in all my covers.  Some I design myself.  Others I've worked with photographers, models or designers.  Each book has its own theme and I have the vision for the cover.  For the most part I get a lot of compliments on mine.  But when I see a book that looks like the cover was done in MS Paint I want to scream.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating your books?

Tim Miller:
I've learned that while writing is an art and craft, it is ultimately a business.  If you want people to read it, you treat your book as a product and the readers are consumers.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What has been the hardest scene for you to write so far?

Tim Miller:
When I wrote My Brother's Keeper there were a few scenes of child abuse on a special needs child.  Those were tough.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Tim Miller:
There is a lot of stuff out there now that calls itself extreme horror or splatterpunk.  What is considered "Extreme" is subjective and varies from person to person.  I try to tailor my "extreme" gore to the most jaded readers.  I've had people who have read the most horrific stuff comment that my books made them want to throw up.  So I feel that is what sets me apart.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How important is a book title, how hard is it to choose just one, and how did you choose yours (of course, with no spoilers)?

Tim Miller:
Once again, I try to think of something catchy, but that goes with the theme of the book.  Each one is a challenge.  Sometimes the title screams at me before I even start.  Other times I'm done with the story and have to struggle and come up with one.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes you feel more fulfilled: Writing a novel or writing a short story?

Tim Miller:
I write novels of around 30K words each.  To me I can tell the most complete story that way.  I do write short stories sometimes and it's a nice break.  I just feel like at writing my usual length, I'm telling the full story without overindulging. 

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Tim Miller:
I'm about to release Clown Apocalypse which I think is self explanatory on what it is about.  From there my next book is about a serial killer who turns his victims into living dolls.  I also am going to start on a script for another idea I've been bouncing around.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where can we find you?  (You know, STaLKeR links.)

Tim Miller:

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
It was great having you here today, Tim.  
            Before you go, do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview?

Tim Miller:
Thank you for taking the time to interview me.  I hope everyone has a fun and Happy Halloween!


About the author:
Tim Miller has dedicated his life to writing stories that will both scare readers and make them cringe.
            Over the years, Tim's writings have evolved into darker realms.  He released his first horror novel, The Hand of God in 2011.  Since then, his books have become progressively more violent and gory.  With the release of Family Night in 2013, Tim had moved into the world of extreme horror where he continues to push the boundaries of human suffering.
            Time is now an international best seller as well.  His book Hell, Texas has recently ranked high on Amazon sales charts since its release in Germany under German publisher, Festa-Verlag.
            He continues to climb the sales charts with his April Almighty series, as well as his recent hits, Hacked and Lady Cannibal.

About the books:

The Hand of God
Genre: Horror
Publication date: 7.17.2013
Pages: 254

Charlie Sims is not your typical preacher.  He is also a serial killer who can turn people into zombies.  He believes it's his job to rid the world of sinners.  One corpse at a time, he carries out his brutally selfless work until a more powerful preacher appears who will change his life forever.  A battle ensues for the fate of mankind.  Charlie's devout beliefs are shaken as he finds himself hurdled into a battle for the end of the world where nothing is what it seems.  A violent tale filled death and chaos, the lines between good and evil are blurred and eventually demolished.


Family Night
Genre: Horror
Publisher: Tim Miller Publishing
Publication date: 12.16.2013
Pages: 115

In 2010, one of the most grisly discoveries in Texas history was made.  Numerous body parts and human remains were found on an abandoned farm near San Antonio.  Very little information was made public, until now.  Eddie Mason is a family man.  But his is not your typical family.  With a wife at home who belittles and ridicules him at every turn, he has sought other means of satisfaction.  With his teenage daughter Brandi, and small son Jeffrey, he teaches them the most horrifying of rituals.  Using his kids as bait, Eddie captures his victims and takes his children on a journey of torture, cannibalism and mayhem.  Learn what the Masons do on Family Night.


Hell, Texas
Genre: Horror
Publisher: Headrip Publications
Publication date: 9.17.2014
Pages: 125

Four Hispanic college students drive through South Texas on a summer road trip.  In the middle of nowhere, they are stopped by a small town Sheriff who accuses them of being illegal immigrants.  Little do they know, he is no sheriff and the town he delivers them to is unlike anything else.  The town is hidden in the hills and mountains of Southwest Texas.
            There, the townspeople live by their own rules.  When the Sheriff brings the group to town, the residents are more than happy to explore the depths of human suffering.  Each of them goes through their own personal Hell as they are subjected to some of the most horrific experiences they never knew existed.  They learn quickly they have arrived in Hell, Texas.


Hacked
Genre: Horror
Publisher: GutWrench Productions
Publication date: 3.16.2015
Pages: 200

Rodney thinks he is a true ladies man on the internet.  He is also a sociopath.  He spends his days talking to women on social media and wooing them with his internet prowess.  Except most women are not impressed.
            When he meets Abby on a site, he decides immediately that she is the one for him.  Abby, however, doesn't see it that way.  When she kindly turns him down, Rodney takes matters into his own hands.  He kidnaps Abby to teach her the consequences of refusing his advances.
            Over the next twenty-four hours, Abby learns a new definition of pain and suffering.  Using conventional tools as well as some homemade devices, Rodney will stop at nothing to get his point across.  
            What will Abby do to keep from becoming Hacked?


Lady Cannibal
Genre: Horror 
Publisher: GutWrench Productions
Publication date: 4.20.2015
Pages: 200

Bailey is a troubled girl.  Ever since childhood she was enjoyed manipulating people in order to get her own way.  If that doesn't work, she has no trouble taking it by force.  Once in college, she realized she may be a sociopath.  Instead of scaring her, she found the new revelation empowering.
            While perfecting her killer instinct, Bailey develops a taste for human flesh.  Can she feed her every growing appetite while staying below the authorities' radar?  Or will her thirst for blood be her undoing?

No comments: