Thursday, October 29, 2015

THE GAL'S 31 DAYS OF HORROR: AMONG THE STACKS: Iain Rob Wright


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hey, Iain.  Welcome to The Gal!  And thanks again for being a part of The Gal's 31 Days of Horror.
            Let's start with something "easy."  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Iain Rob Wright:
Hi Gal, thanks so much for having me.  I am a 31 year old writer from the UK.  Married with a 16-month-old son.  Writing is what I do during the 3 minutes a day I get to myself.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Iain Rob Wright:
I'm pretty open and  honest, so there's not much they don't know.  1) One of my fav films is the Untamed Heart with Christian Slater - makes me cry every time.  2) I'm a respectful atheist (as in I don't feel an arrogant need to attack people who do believe).  3) I am very phobic of bodily fluids.  4) My fav program at the moment is Impractical Jokers (US version).  5) I'm an anxious fiddler and rarely keep still.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading? 

Iain Rob Wright:
I started off with Goosebumps and Point Horror.  Then it was Terry Pratchett.  Then it was James Herbert.  The first book that really made me fall in love with reading (and horror) was The Rats by Herbert.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Iain Rob Wright:
I am reading the Breakers series by Edward W. Robinson.  Great alien invasion books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Iain Rob Wright:
I never really decided.  It was just something I enjoyed, so it became a hobby.  I'm one of those lucy people that gets to do their hobby for a living.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Iain Rob Wright:
I have an office, but I just as often work in the lounge.  I like to have the tv on in the background or else the silence distracts me.  It sounds counterintuitive, but I work better with lots of noise.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Iain Rob Wright:
No, I am pretty straightforward really.  I keep normal working hours and have good and bad days.  I treat my writing like a job, or else I would never get motivated.  My old chair used to have a nail that stuck up through the cushion which scratched my bottom, but I have a new chair now.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Iain Rob Wright:
Just getting it done.  It's hard to have the energy some days to concentrate hard enough to get a good amount done.  The biggest challenge I have is with myself.  Trying to get myself in the mood to write is a challenge always.  Other things are always calling.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?  Who are some authors that have inspired your writing style?

Iain Rob Wright:
The Stand by Stephen King was amazing and got me in love with the apocalypse (and small town America).  Richard Laymon showed me how to write deep, involving bad guys.  Brian Keene showed me how to create a world outside our own.  J.A. Konrath's newbie guide showed me how to be a success.  Terry Pratchett showed me what perfection is, and how to make every word count (I'll never attain even half of his talent).

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Iain Rob Wright:
For me it's characters.  People love Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead because they care about the characters.  That started for me with Buffy and Angel.  If something happened to the characters in those shows, I went into mourning.  It made me realize that I want to touch people in that way, too.  I dream of touching people.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What does it take for you to love a character?  How do you utilize that when creating your characters?

Iain Rob Wright:
I love redemption, so a bad guy turning good is my favourite.  Jamie Lannister, Spike, Merle, they were all great because they were fighting against the hand life dealt them.  Being good despite everything wanting you to be bad is something that impresses us.  It's a strength we all wish we had.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Iain Rob Wright:
Damien's journey was based on a change in myself.  I grew up angry and slowly got in touch with who I really wanted to be.  Damien was a product of his upbringing, but he broke free.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Are you turned off by a bad cover?  To what degree were you involved in creating your book covers?

Iain Rob Wright:
Yes, some covers are awful.  My covers are all created by professionals now, and some of the early ones done by myself were terrible.  You can't get away with poor cover artwork.  I have some of the ideas, but that's all.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating your books?

Iain Rob Wright:
That you get better all the time.  I am still learning as much now as I was on day 1.  I also learned that I will never look at my own work and love it.  My insecurity never lessons - I always think my books are badly written, which is why I am always trying to do better.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What has been the hardest scene for you to write so far?

Iain Rob Wright:
Killing a little girl with pigtails was tough.  Anything bordering on rape is always tough for me, so I avoid it mostly.  Don't enjoy hunting animals either.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Iain Rob Wright:
I think the fact that I am inspired by American writers like Stephen KingBrian Keene, and Richard Laymon, yet am a working class Brit, gives me a very unique style, and I believe I can connect with UK and USA audiences equally well.  I'm also young, which means my characters and stories are hopefully refreshingly up to date.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
How important is the book title, how hard is it to choose the best one, and how did you choose yours (of course, with no spoilers)?

Iain Rob Wright:
It's pretty important, but it doesn't have to be perfect.  There could be 20 different titles that suit your book equally.  The important thing is that they pique curiosity while also making the genre recognizable.  Calling a romance novel "Fish" would be a bad idea.  "Broken Roses" would be better.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes you feel more fulfilled: Writing a novel or writing a short story?

Iain Rob Wright:
I honestly don't enjoy writing short stories.  I find it difficult and struggle to find ideas that can be condensed.  There's nothing like releasing a full-length novel - it really feels like an achievement.  Any one can write a short story.  Writing a novel takes commitment.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Tell us a little bit about your books, your target audience, and what you would like readers to take away from your stories.

Iain Rob Wright:
My books are all different.  I try to be varied so that my readers can go on a real journey with me.  I have so far not committed too many series of books, yet all of my standalone novels relate to others in some way.  People who read several of my novels will be rewarded by a longer, overarching story. Yet, even if people only read one of my novels, I hope I give them something unique and enjoyable.  I write to entertain - no other reason.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Can you tell us about some of the deleted scenes/stuff that got left out of your work?

Iain Rob Wright:
I'm not a big cutter.  One of the great things about ebooks is that you don't have to conform to a specific language.  In fact, I probably leave too much in.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your 'trunk'?  (Everyone has a book or project, which doesn't necessarily have to be book related, that they have put aside for a 'rainy day' or for when they have extra time.  Do you have one?

Iain Rob Wright:
I once started a novel about an undersea research centre where a zombie virus escapes.  I scrapped it and started on The Final Winter.  I've published everything since.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Iain Rob Wright:
I will be working on the series I have set up throughout 2016.  I will be writing a sequel to Hot ZoneThe Gates and Wings of Sorrow.  If I have time, I may also write a sequel to Savage, and a new book named Tar.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for being here today, Iain.  It was a pleasure having you. :)
            Before you go, do you have any closing words for your fans or anything you'd like to say that we didn't get to cover in this interview?

Iain Rob Wright:
Just thank you to anyone who has or will read my books.  I only get to do this because of them.


About the author:
Iain Rob Wright is from the English town of Redditch, where he worked for many years as a mobile telephone salesman.  After publishing his debut novel, The Final Winter, in 2011 to great success, he quit his job and became a full time writer.  He now has over a dozen books, and in 2013 he co-wrote a book with bestselling author, J.A. Konrath.
            The three most important things in his life are his wife, his son, and his fans.
            His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences.  He's an active member of the Horror Writer's Association and a massive animal lover.  Join his mailing list and receive five FREE books, as well as all the latest news and releases.
            You can find him at his website or on Facebook.
            You can get his FREE Horror Started Pack - FOUR bestselling novels and a short story banned from sale - just by signing up for his newsletter.

About the books:

Genre: Horror, Post-Apocalyptic, Thriller
Publisher: Silk Raven Associates
Publication date: 5.23.2011
Pages: 344

THE SNOW WAS JUST THE START...

On the night it begins snowing in every country of the world, an ordinary group of people gather at a rundown English pub.  At first they assume the weather is just a random occurrence and nothing to worry about - but as the night goes on, weirder things happen, and they start to realise that something far more sinister is at hand.  Something that none of them could ever have imagined.
            By the end of the night, not everyone will make it, and those that do will wish they hadn't.

Genre: Horror, Paranormal, Thriller
Publication date: 11.9.2014
Pages: 231

SOMETIMES THE PAST IS DEADLY

Blake Price is the most celebrated mystery writer since Agatha Christie, but violent tragedy has yanked him from his life and sent him retreating to a secluded cottage in the countryside, dragging his family with him.
            Trying to connect with his spirited ten-year-old son and despondent wife is difficult, but Blake tries to hold the strands of his life together as best he can.  But that becomes impossible when an old picture frame finds its way into his life.  A picture frame that curses anybody unlucky enough to have their picture placed inside of it.  Unfortunately, Blake's wife thinks the frame is just perfect for a family photo...

THE PICTURE FRAME
SOME MEMORIES SHOULD STAY BURIED...

Genre: Horror, Post-Apocalyptic, Zombies
Publisher: SalGad Publishing Group
Publication date: 3.19.2014
Pages: 376

SOMETIMES BEING ALONE IS BETTER...

The world has crumbled and the dead walk the earth, but all is not lost, yet.  A group of survivors seek salvation at an abandoned pier where the dead can't get them.
            But the dead are not the only threat.
            The people on the pier are not the only group of survivors.  There are others out there: bigger, nastier groups.  And one just turned up right on the doorstep...
            The world may have changed, but people haven't.

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction
Publisher: SalGad Publishing Group
Publication date: 3.5.2015
Pages: 158

THE HAPPIEST PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE...

Grand Galaxies is the most expensive amusement park ever created, built on the surface of the moon.  For a decade now, rich families and honeymooning couples have gone there to have the time of their lives, and no one has ever returned disappointed.  But communication with the moon has been lost.  Someone needs to go up there and see what's wrong.
            Commander 'Boss' Sharman is the man for the job, SABA's most respected leader, but he might end up regretting his decision to bring along his daughter, Lexi, for the mission.  Something has gone very wrong at Grand Galaxies, and once boss and his team travel the 238.900 miles to the moon, they might find that there's no way of getting back home again.

GETING THERE IS THE EASY PART...

Genre: Horror, Supernatural
Publisher: SalGad Publishing Group
Publication date: 10.18.2015
Pages: 152

A captivating fantasy that brings the supernatural thrills of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel to a new generation.

GROWING UP IS HELL.

Scarlet is a sixteen-year-old girl with no friends living with her single father.  The one thing her life has none of is excitement.  That's until she meets a naked stranger beside the lake. Then everything changes.
            Scarlet discovers that she is not just an ordinary sixteen-year-old.  In fact, the fate of the world rests on her shoulders, and it seems like she's one of the bad guys.  A weapon.
            Pretty soon, Scarlet is going to miss her old, boring life, but will have to accept that it is gone forever.  At least she's made a friend - demon named Sorrow.  He's one of the bad guys, too.

ONLY EVIL CAN SAVE HER NOW.

No comments: