Wednesday, October 7, 2015

THE GAL'S 31 DAYS OF HORROR: Jaime Johnesee


Why Leaving Reviews Is So Important

There are times when I wonder why I chose this career path.  Long hours, hard work, very little pay.  No, writing is not an easy occupation.  Sometimes the rejections outweigh the acceptance and the checks coming in make you wonder if it's all worth it.
            Then that magical thing happens.  I get an insightful review highlighting both the good and bad or an email appears from someone who read my work and loved it.  At those moments I stop and take stock of how lucky I am.
            Sure, I may make less money than a child in an illegal sweatshop, but someone was impacted enough by my work to take the time to review it or write me.  Somebody stopped what they were doing and thought for a moment about an imaginary world I created and that is the best kind of payment I could ask for.
            Not that I want to stop those checks from coming in.  In fact, I hope they bring friends with them.  So, you there reading this, stop and ask yourself if you've taken the time to let your favorite author know how much you like their work.
            Have you written reviews on the books you have read?  Bad or good, those reviews really help us authors out.  The more reviews a book has the higher its ranking in the system of Amazon.  Every review counts.
            They count for more reasons than numbers, though.  You taking the time to point out inconsistencies and problems can help an author to grow and better hone their craft.  It's one of the reasons I love reviews so much.
            Most people don't stop to think about how much they can actually help an author out.  They give their opinion on the book and go on about their day without realizing that they very well may have just helped someone get a little further in their career.
            There aren't many jobs in the world where the public at large gets to assist the worker.  Writing is one of those jobs and I love hearing from folks who have read my work.  Compliments and honest critique are always welcome.
            Thank you so much for taking the time to read this today.  I hope it helped some of you decide to leave some reviews for your favorite authors.  You could really brighten up someone's day by doing so.  Thanks again, and I hope you folks have a great day.


About the author:
Jaime Johnesee lives in Michigan with her husband and two sons.  She spent fourteen years as a zookeeper before shifting her focus to writing full time.  Widely known for her bestselling horror comedy series, Bob the Zombie, she is currently coauthoring the paranormal horror series, Revelations, for Devil Dog Press as well as working on her Shifters series.  You can find out more about Jaime Johnesee at her website.

No comments: