Saturday, November 7, 2015

REVIEW: Asylum II


By: Matt Drabble

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Eden Publications Ltd
Publication date: 10.31.2015
Pages: 440

Recommended by: Sage's Blog Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 11.5.2015


I'm not really a "fan-girl" kinda person.  I mean, I have authors that I follow, even authors that I consider friends, but I am a fan of books in general, longing for my next great read, no matter who it is by.  There are a handful (or two) of people, though, that I wait with breathless anticipation for their next book to come out, a handful (or two) of people I have been following long before I decided to take the step to become a book blogger.

Matt Drabble is one of those authors.  Ever since 2013, when I read Abra-Cadaver, every time I hear he is coming out with a new book, I just have to have it.  Fortunately, this is the second blog tour that he has done with Sage, and she knows how I feel about this author, so I received an email telling me she had a copy with my name on it and wanted to know what date I was game.

I was so excited to finally be able to sit down and open this book.  And, as usual, he did not disappoint.  Each book gets scarier and scarier - and I don't mean scary as in, right at this moment I am scared, but later on I forget all about it.  I mean, scary now and, when I turn off the lights to go to sleep at night, I am just as freaked out ... and some times even more so, laying there, thoughts rushing through my mind, pretty sure I see a character or two of his hiding in the shadows of my apartment.

I love how each of these stories are a standalone, and yet, they all work together as cogs in the wheel of the bigger picture.  There are twists, turns, frights, unexpected events, characters that you grow to love, ones that you despise from the first time you meet them ... and each story left me wanting more. My only complaint - which is my usual complaint with his books - is that they have to end, and I have to wait once again for him to give me something more from his imagination.

If you are a fan of horror, I definitely recommend you pick up one of the books by this author.  He is well worth your time.


About the book:
Welcome back to Blackwater Heights, it's time to take another tour.
            After a breakout and a devastating fire, the private hospital is finely refurbished and opening its doors for business again.
            But the evil that has blighted this place runs deeper than the concrete foundations.  Its very nature attracts darkness and now another storm is brewing.
            Some of the most disturbed minds sit within the padded walls of Blackwater Heights.  Each has a tale to tell and each is more shocking than the last.
            Dr. Hilary Meeker is about to take up her position on the staff.  An ambitious woman looking to make her mark and climb the professional ladder with little regard to those she steps upon.
            Dr. Elgon Perrin runs the hospital, an unusual man with a unique style.  But is he all that he seems?  Are his methods too extreme?  And is he more dangerous than the inmates that he stands guard over?

About the author:
Born in Bath, England in 1974, a self-professed "funny onion," equal parts sport loving jock and comic book geek.  I am a lover of horror and character driven stories.  I am also an A.S. sufferer who took to writing full time two years after being forced to give up the day job.
            I have a career high position of 5th on Amazon's Horror Author Rank of which I am immensely proud.  I have also been accepted as a full member of the Horror Writers Association.
            Gated is the 2015 Readers Favorite Gold Medal Winner for Horror.  It is also a UK & US Horror Chart Top Ten Best Seller & winner of the Full Moon Awards 2014 Horror Book of the Year.
            Asylum: 13 Tales of Terror is a US Horror Chart #5.  It was also voted #5 on The Horror Novel Review's Top 10 Books of 2013 and is a Readers Favorite 2014 Gold Medal Winner.  Both The Travelling Man and Abra-Cadaver won Indie Book of the Day awards.
            You can follow Matt on TwitterGoodreadsFacebook and Amazon.

No comments: