Tuesday, December 8, 2015

REVIEW: Twelfth Krampus Night


Twelfth Krampus Night
By: Matt Manochio

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publication date: 12.1.2015
Pages: 121

Recommended by: Hook of a Book, Read 2 Review
Date read: 12.6.2015


Anyone that knows me knows that I am a HUGE fan of the Krampus myth.  It all started when my  nieces were 3.  There was an article in the Houston Chronicle that told the stories of Krampus, as well as several other "characters" that deal with naughty children this time of year.  To me, his story was the best, and ever since then, any time something is devoted to Krampus, I have to read it or see it.  (Yes, that means I did see the movie - and I really liked it.)

This is my second Manochio novel, and I have one more planned for the month.  As with the last one, I found this very enjoyable, and I'm glad that I was introduced to his talent.

The characters in this book are well written, especially Frau Perchta and Krampus.  I love the competitive streak between the two that lasts the whole story, and how they deal with each other.  I also like Beate and how much she grows as the story goes on.  There were a couple of unexpected twists, and some things that kept me wondering until the answers were given at the conclusion.  And what a conclusion... I really like how the story ended, but also what was laid out in the final pages, which put in my mind so many further stories that could be written starring these two amazing characters.  (Yes, I am now a fan of Perchta, too.)

To me, this book was more like a really good action movie with some frightful moments.  There were some parts that kept me on the edge of my seat, that had my heart pounding and my stress level up, but I didn't find it, as a whole, scary.  That's not saying this isn't a great book because it really is.  I just don't find Krampus himself to be "scary," just more a natural part of life, and I wish that he had more than one day to do his duties, or maybe a longer list.

This is a great read and I highly recommend it, especially to people who love Krampus as much as I do.

Favorite line: "Do you think it is okay if I eat some of him?"  (Epic!)


About the book:
Dark servants clash!
            Medieval maiden Beate, who's grieving over the mysterious eviceration of her best friend, Gisela, must escape a Bavarian castle under siege by sadistic creatures.
            Standing in her way - beyond towering walls and crossbow-toting guards - are Saint Nicholas's demonic helper, Krampus, and Frau Perchta, a belly-slitting hag who prowls the countryside during First Night festivities to punish naughty teens.
            Beate wants you.  Krampus and Frau Perchta want in, determined to breach the castle to snag their prey.  Beat has no idea why these monsters want her, but she must use her wits to save herself from horrors both human and inhuman - lest she wind up like Gisela.

About the author:
Matt Manochio was born in 1975 in New Jersey and graduated from The University of Delaware in 1997 with a history/journalism degree.  He spent the majority of his 13-year newspaper career at the Daily Record in Morris County, New Jersey, where he won multiple New Jersey Association Awards for his reporting.
            He wrote about one of his passions, rock 'n' roll giants AC/DC, for USA Today and considers that the highlight of his journalism career.  He left newspapers in 2011 for safer employment.
            His debut novel, The Dark Servant, was published with Samhain Horror in November of 2014.  His second novel, Sentinels, was released November 2015, just prior to Twelfth Krampus Night in December 2015.  He currently lives in New Jersey with his son.

No comments: