Friday, January 29, 2016

REVIEW: Desolation


Desolation
By: Kristopher Rufty

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Publication date: 1.5.2016
Pages: 303

Recommended by: Hook of a Book, Read 2 Review
Date read: 1.28.2016


I have been following Kristopher Rufty's career for some time now, but have had the hardest time deciding which book of his I wanted to start with.  After having him on The Gal in October, and learning more about him, I knew that I couldn't put this off any longer, so when Erin of Hook of a Book asked me if I wanted to be part of this blog tour, there was no way I was going to turn her down.

The cover and book description really caught my attention and I couldn't wait to pick it up, but at the same time I really didn't want to, knowing that if I loved it, I would be so disappointed when it ended.

I was immediately, from page one, pulled into a story that tugged at my heart strings - told from two different sides of a horrific event.  I don't think I have cared this much for both the "good guy" and the "bad guy" in a long time.  Rufty did an AMAZING job setting up the scenes, describing the events, and letting you meet his characters - each one having so much more to them than first expected.  When things turn, as you would expect them to do in a novel in the horror genre, things get even better.  Where the story went was so well-written that I feel I need to purchase every thing this man has EVER put on paper and start reading them, like, now.

It hasn't been very often lately that I have been so sucked up into a story that I have forgotten where I was, but with this book, I truly did.  I lost sleep because of this book, being unable to put it down because it was so good.  I missed bus stops because of this book, being so sucked in that I didn't realize, until two stops later, that I was still on the bus.

To say that I recommend this book is an understatement and I can't wait to see what he has to offer next.


About the book:
There's no escaping your past.  Especially when it wants revenge.

Grant Marlowe hoped taking his family to their mountain cabin for Christmas would reunite them after his alcoholic past had torn them apart, but it only puts them into a life and death struggle.  On Christmas Eve, a stranger from Grant's past invades the vacation home and takes his wife and children hostage.  His agenda is simple - make Grant suffer the same torment that  Grant's drunken antics have caused him.  Now Grant must confront his demons head on and fight for his family's lives.  Because this man has nothing left to lose.  The only thing keeping him alive is misery - Grant's misery.


About the author:
Kristopher Rufty lives in North Carolina with his wife, three children, and the zoo they call their pets.  He's written various books, including The Vampire of PlainfieldJaggerThe LurkersThe Lurking SeasonThe Skin ShowPillowcaseProud Parents, and more, plus a slew of horror screenplays.  He has also written and directed the independent horror films Psycho HolocaustRags, and Wicked Wood.  If he goes more than two days without writing, he becomes very irritable and  hard to be around, which is why he's sent to his desk without supper often.

2 comments:

hookofabook said...

Thanks Meghan for a great review!

Meghan H said...

You're welcome. Thank YOU for giving me another wonderful book to read :)