Saturday, December 3, 2016

The Gal's 62 Days of Horror Christmas Takeover 3: The Sisters of Slaughter


Santa Claus is Coming to Town
By: Michelle Garza & Melissa Lason

No one wants to listen to you when you claim that you saw Santa, especially when you are grown, even more so when your family ends up dead by mysterious circumstances.  They don't understand that he is not the jolly bastard that has been advertised in TV movies, on chocolate candy packages, or at the mall photo booths.
            He came from the sky like a falling star, flaming with cosmic malevolence.  In his sleigh beside him rode Halfling creatures with smiles like goblin sharks.  The sacks slung across their backs were fashioned from stitched together human skin, heavy with the gifts that they stole from other strangers on that snowy night.  They brought not a single present yet they claimed so much in a handful of hours.
            In their wake, they left behind my parents, my brother and his fiancĂ©  every one of them skinned alive.  Their deaths came when old St. Nick removed random vital organs from their weeping bodies.  Their flesh was peeled away by his hideous minions in a frenzy of excited laughter, as human children might giggle when opening their presents on Christmas morning, so eager to see what was inside.
            Many here in my new home celebrate the season.  I stay inside my cell.  The guards are surprisingly sympathetic as I cover the tiny window above my bed with my own pillow.  On Christmas night I'm afraid to watch the sky for fear of seeing him ride down again, making my nightmares reality, coming to take my skin as his own and reuniting me with my family for the holidays.

About the authors:
Melissa Lason and Michelle Garza have been writing together since they were little girls.  Dubbed "The Sisters of Slaughter" by the editors at Fireside Press, they are constantly working together on new stories in the horror and dark fantasy genres.  Their work has been included in Wishful Thinking by Fireside Press and Widowmakers, a benefit anthology of dark fiction.  They have also recently published their novel, Mayan Blue.

No comments: