Wednesday, April 12, 2017

GUEST POST: Glenn Rolfe


Today is my birthday, so I invited one of the most amazing authors I know, Mr. Glenn Rolfe, over to talk a little about anything that happens to cross his mind while he's here.  Since he has a new book out, he decided to take the chance to talk a little about that and his writing.  Can you think of a better way to celebrate me adding one more year to my belt?  I sure couldn't.
            Take it away, Glenn...

Short Strikes to the Face
Do you like short reads?  I do.  That's not to way I don't read larger works, but I tend to stick with the smaller books when I'm reading.  Now, there are some fantastic books that are well over three-hundred and fifty pages - Bag of BonesThe Stand, and tons of other King novels - but I tend to keep to the classic two-hundred to three-hundred page novels.

            There's something to be said for a short novel that can make a major impact.  Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Lord of the Flies by William Golding are amazing and feel much larger than their under two-hundred and fifty pages.

            Some of my favorite books are also short striking novels.  Brian Keene's Darkness on the Edge of Town, Jack Ketchum's Red, Gary Brandner's The Howling, Richard Laymon's The Woods Are Dark, and King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon all fall within the short strike range (a couple are a few pages over the two-fifty mark).  These guys all proved that you don't have to go word crazy to create a special book.

            I have yet to write anything out of the short strike range, and I'm not sure I ever will.  My new novel, Becoming, easily fits the mold.  Yet, as short as it is, I tried to make it feel bigger.  I took a small town and attempted to fill it up with enough characters and color (trust me, you'll be seeing green) to suck you in and take you for a full-fledged creature-feature ride.  My influences always weasel their way in.  This one has a bit of King (think The Tommyknockers on a much smaller scale), a dash of James A. Moore's Rabid Growth, and the paranoid atmosphere of movies like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Carpenter's The Thing.

            Becoming definitely has a "throwback" vibe going on.  I always aim for my books to be like those great paperback horror novels you'd like to grab off a book rack or spot in the horror section in a Borders back in the day.  Those were always my favorites.  That's where I was introduced to Laymon, Keene, Bentley Little (he gets away with writing bigger books), Ketchum, and so many others.  I hope you'll take a chance on my short 'n' sweet, hazy green, and tentacle-filled charmer, Becoming.

Cheers!
~GR




About the author:
Glenn Rolfe is an author, singer, songwriter, and all around fun-loving guy from the haunted woods of New England.  He has studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the novels of Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Hunter Shea, Brian Moreland and many others.  He and his wife, Meghan, have three children, Ruby, Ramona, and All.  He is grateful to be loved despite his weirdness.
            He is the author of BecomingBlood & RainThe Haunted HallsChasing GhostsBoom TownAbram's BridgeThings We Fear, and the collections Out of Range and Slush.
            He is hard at work on many more.  Stay tuned!

You can find him on his websiteTwitterFacebookInstagramPinterest, and Follower.  (That last one is Glenn's idea of a joke.)

No comments: