Friday, May 5, 2017

REVIEW: Fat Girl Walking


Sex, Food, Love & Being Comfortable in Your Skin...
Every Inch of It
By: Brittany Gibbons

Genre: Memoirs, Humor, Essays, Culinary
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers, Day Street Books
Publication date: 5.19.2015
Pages: 240

Dear person holding Fat Girl Walking,

First of all, thanks for picking up this copy of my first book.  I hope you buy it - and to just because each purchase gets me one step closer to buying the leather pants of my dreams.
            I hope you buy Fat Girl Walking because I want to start a conversation.  Or continue a conversation, one I inadvertently started a while ago when I took my clothes off on a stage in front of 700 people.  A lot of people thought I was awesome for doing that.  A lot of others thought a size 18 woman had absolutely no business showing off her body.  Unfortunately for them, I've made it my personal mission on my blog, in social media, on television, and now in this amazing book you're holding, to destroy the ridiculous myths that every woman who is overweight hates her body and herself.  I, Brittany Gibbons, and the Curvy Girls I speak to every day on the internet, beg to differ.  We love our bodies.  We love fashion.  We are in loving relationships, having lots of sex.  We aren't just a fetish, we're normal women.  Sure, sometimes we doubt ourselves, we're not robots, but not anymore than EVERY OTHER WOMAN ON THE PLANET.  See, Fat Girls aren't freaks of nature.  We're just like you.  Maybe we are you.
            Fat Girl Walking is a collection of stories from my life, my thoughts about the issues that I have faced as a woman, wife, mom, daughter, daughter-in-law, and internet personality in regards to my weight.  I have tried to be as honest as I possibly could - apologies in advance to my husband and parents, but hopefully any discomfort you feel is quickly replaced by laughter.  The insecure texts to my husband and summer camp hijinks are hilarious if I do say so myself.  And I also ask some tough questions, things like "What if my husband weighs less than I do?" and "Is my body hate ruining my daughter's life?"  Read Fat Girl Walking and let's start having these conversations.  No pressure, but we may just save all womankind.

Love, Brittany


I am a fat girl... and I am occasionally proud of it.

Me reading this book makes much more sense now, doesn't it?  Haha.

I had a vague amount of knowledge about Brittany Gibbons before I happened upon this book at some bookstore or another.  I looked at the cover and thought, "God she's gorgeous.  And she's bigger than I am!  Why is she gorgeous... and I'm not?"  Then I looked at the book description - the letter to her readers you see above - and I knew I needed this book.

I learned a lot in this book.  I laughed (until I almost wet myself), cried (big sobs), and realized that the only difference between me and her (other than her internet celebrity, obviously) was that she didn't care what people thought of her, and that not caring gave her better self esteem than I have ever had.  She did care, for a long time, and there are stories, and crazy texts to her husband, all here between the covers of this book to show you just how much she UNDERSTANDS.  And it's nice to hear someone say (or... read... you know what I mean) that they understand what I - an overweight, lonely, depressed, woman with little to no self-esteem - am feeling.  Especially someone who has worked hard to do something about the way she sees herself and life.

I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who has ever looked at themselves in the mirror and not felt beautiful, no matter what size they are.  But I warn you... you will laugh and cry just as hard as I did.  And maybe you'll learn something like me, too.

I have a new hero... and her name is Brittany Gibbons.

Date read: 1.6.2017


About the author:
Brittany Gibbons was born a poor, fat child.  Since then, she has become one of the most prominent body image advocates in the country.  As the leader of the Curvy Girl Army, Brittany speaks to thousands via her Facebook group and her blog.
            She has been the subject of extensive media for her Ted Talk/striptease, for her 365 Days of Sex adventure with her beloved husband, Andy, and for having the sheer audacity to wear a bikini as a size 18 and putting the photo on the internet.  She is the mother of three children and has been with her husband since they were teenagers.  This book is her dream come true.

No comments: