Friday, May 5, 2017

REVIEW: Maniacs with Knives


Maniacs with Knives 1:
By: Shaun Hupp

Genre: Horror
Publisher: Snuff Art House Publication
Publication date: 4.7.2017
Pages: 104

To a regular person, they're just tools...
A chef uses them to prepare a meal.
A surgeon uses them to save lives.
To the maniacs in this story, however...
Theirs is a much darker purpose.
For them, the first cut is NOT the deepest.  It's just the beginning...

This story is from Shaun Hupp's Unapologetic Horror Line.  The author is NOT sorry this book contains: Gore, violence, dismemberment, rape, swearing, and a dozen other things you wouldn't want your grandmother to talk about at her Sunday church group.  If you're a sensitive reader, this book is probably NOT for you.


I have to admit, Shaun Hupp had me from the very beginning, literally.  His "A Note to the Reader" is epic.  In fact, it's probably the best one I've read yet, and something I think any author who deals with horrific behavior or "triggers" should include at the beginning of their stories.  If you can get past the author telling you, in a very impolite way, what you can go do with yourself... then you're ready for a story that will make you completely rethink the way... well... people think.

I've read a lot of books - horror and thrillers - that start with some poor girl who managed to get herself caught by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and when she wakes up, finds herself locked in an unfamiliar basement.  That is the way Shaun's story begins... and, had it been another author, I may have rolled my eyes and put my Kindle down, but I expect more of him and had to continue so I could figure out JUST where he planned on going with this.

I can say with all honesty that where he went was not at all where I thought he would.

There are several characters that, unfortunately, found their way, unbeknownst to them, into the pages of a Shaun Hupp book.  All of their lives are going down different paths, until one day, they all connect in a house - a perfectly normal house... a connection that may not have happened if Owen and Alex hadn't met in a bar one fateful evening, a meeting I'm still not sure was coincidental, though I can't honestly remember if it's revealed that it was or wasn't.  

Just a warning - you'll probably never look at artists, or knives, the same again, but you'll have to read to find out why.

At the end, Shaun includes a preview of Maniacs with Knives II.  Wow.  I can't wait to get my hands on that one.

Recommended by: Read 2 Review
Date read: 4.12.2017


About the author:
Shaun Hupp lives in Michigan with his wife, two kids, and dog.  While he mainly writes in the horror genre, he also dabbles in the supernatural and comedy.  When he's not writing, he wears t-shirts of sports teams he could care less about.  He also needs to take the trash out.

No comments: